back in the day

-

speedyvision

Reaction score
...just lamenting about days gone by. i grew up in those big Mopars. my Dad loved them! he thought nothing of piling my 3 sisters, Mom and me in his Imps (Imperials) and running down the road for 500 miles or more...and get there in about 4 hours!
we had big finned Hemi cars...one was purple, but not plum crazy, more a metallic lavender. it had real wire wheel knock offs (spinners)
another one was black and when he blew the muffler out it sounded awesome! he let me start it for him and back it out every day for about a week til he had time to replace the blown Hemi muffler...i was about 11 years old (and i`m a woman, a girl then!)
we had a gold finned new yorker...and a white one too. i was too young to recall all the details of these cars, but i remember sleeping in the package shelf (rear window) or anywhere in the back of that big luxurious Mopar built for speed! there were 4 of us in the backseat, comfy as could be...at 130mph.
Dad had a best friend who had a 300F with long ram manifolds and a 150mph "spaceship" dash cluster...car was black with almost pink leather!
as we grew up and got our license to drive Dad helped us to get our own Mopars. he taught us all how to spin a wrench too. my sister is an engineer these days!
me? i married into...and out of, the business...haha, oh well.
another great memory was when my Dad was buying cars. he was buying cars from the state police and FBI. i can remember one day when he had 30 something Dodge Polaras...i think 71`s. each and every one running 440`s and speedo`s certified to 150mph.
wouldn`t u like to have over 30 TNT 440`S today?
RIP Dad! i love you and all those memories!

My uncle always had a BB new yorker and I remember sleeping in the back and taking long trips, staring at the stares and falling asleep.
Thanks for the great memories8)

Thanks to Speedy I just had a flashback (they still come on occasion). My father was into Plymouth stationwagon land yachts (5 kids) with 383's and 440's and they'd cruise at 120 like you were stuck to the highway.
I remember when I got my drivers license and right after my first Mopar, 69 383 Runner, the RCMP (R sumps) were running those big Dodges with the interceptor 440's and 3.25 or something gears and the Dodge dealer in the next town was putting bigger cams and carbs on them. One night I'm sitting on mainstreet trying my hardest to pick up one of the town hotties when 2 mustangs came across the train tracks line up on main street and put on a show for us followed by a drag race. I was about to join in when I remembered that Constable Metalarsky was in town hidding somewhere, their office was in the next town, and just as I thought about it I heard the high pitched sound of a gear reduction starter followed by the loopy rumble of a cammed up big block. Well right next door to us all hell broke loose as he proceeded to put down 20-30 feet of rubber across the Case dealers front lot, the bugger was hiding amongst the tractors, he hits main street and had those 2 runstangs a couple blocks later.
I actually got a ride in one of those beasts one night when I got pulled over in town by Herman (he was an ***) and after finding beer in my trunk proceeded to write me up an illegal possesion ticket, to my delight of course, as I'm sitting in the back seat of his cruiser. Well across the street from the parking lot that we were in was the town bar and who should come out the front door and get into his truck but Mr. Carry. So Carry backs out and proceeds to light them up and head out of town. Old Herman starts to go after him and I yell out to let me out of the car and Herman says for me to stay right where I am and the chase is on. We catch up to Carry about mile out of town, I remember seeing 120 mph on the speedo, then Carry gets to join me in the back seat. That was a busy night for old Herman, what an ***. I could have got Herman into a ton of trouble for indangering my young life but hell deep down I always wanted a ride in one of those interceptors and it only cost me $52.50 (the 2.50 was court charges)

Terry:burnout:

Thanks to Speedy I just had a flashback (they still come on occasion). My father was into Plymouth stationwagon land yachts (5 kids) with 383's and 440's and they'd cruise at 120 like you were stuck to the highway.
I remember when I got my drivers license and right after my first Mopar, 69 383 Runner, the RCMP (R sumps) were running those big Dodges with the interceptor 440's and 3.25 or something gears and the Dodge dealer in the next town was putting bigger cams and carbs on them. One night I'm sitting on mainstreet trying my hardest to pick up one of the town hotties when 2 mustangs came across the train tracks line up on main street and put on a show for us followed by a drag race. I was about to join in when I remembered that Constable Metalarsky was in town hidding somewhere, their office was in the next town, and just as I thought about it I heard the high pitched sound of a gear reduction starter followed by the loopy rumble of a cammed up big block. Well right next door to us all hell broke loose as he proceeded to put down 20-30 feet of rubber across the Case dealers front lot, the bugger was hiding amongst the tractors, he hits main street and had those 2 runstangs a couple blocks later.
I actually got a ride in one of those beasts one night when I got pulled over in town by Herman (he was an ***) and after finding beer in my trunk proceeded to write me up an illegal possesion ticket, to my delight of course, as I'm sitting in the back seat of his cruiser. Well across the street from the parking lot that we were in was the town bar and who should come out the front door and get into his truck but Mr. Carry. So Carry backs out and proceeds to light them up and head out of town. Old Herman starts to go after him and I yell out to let me out of the car and Herman says for me to stay right where I am and the chase is on. We catch up to Carry about mile out of town, I remember seeing 120 mph on the speedo, then Carry gets to join me in the back seat. That was a busy night for old Herman, what an ***. I could have got Herman into a ton of trouble for indangering my young life but hell deep down I always wanted a ride in one of those interceptors and it only cost me $52.50 (the 2.50 was court charges)

Terry:burnout:

haha, nice sounds similiar to one of my "law" encounters

Great post! Brought back lots of memories, except my earliest memories were laying on the package tray of my parents Hudson Hornet on the drive from SoCal to Las Vegas back before Interstate 15! The only Mopar in my childhood days was when my mom traded in the last Hudson for a new '59 Fury hardtop. She was always concerned that it was too bright (kind of a coral color with a white top. That car had great fins!

Great post! Brought back lots of memories, except my earliest memories were laying on the package tray of my parents Hudson Hornet on the drive from SoCal to Las Vegas back before Interstate 15! The only Mopar in my childhood days was when my mom traded in the last Hudson for a new '59 Fury hardtop. She was always concerned that it was too bright (kind of a coral color with a white top. That car had great fins!

haha...Hudson Hornets were another of my Dads faves! ...but Walter P., he was #1 with Dad!

-
Back