Back on the road!!!..... for about 5 min (engine help please)

-

Colorado

Reaction score
Sorry if this post is a little long, I just want to be as specific as possible.

Alright, 66 Dodge Dart 270, 225 cu, 3sp a/t.... Was running fine all summer then it was stalling out and generally running like crap, sometimes wouldn't start...

Previous issues I was experiencing: Ran fine in P, R, and N.. In D it had shoddy/sporadic/hesitant acceleration and eventually got to the point where it stalled if I wasn't constantly giving it gas.. (at stop lights I would have to keep revving in N, then switch gears and then give it gas soon as I switched gears)... Sometimes it would go ahead and stall as I was braking to slow car. Would even stall in 35 mph traffic if I wasn't at least giving it some acceleration. I gave up on trying to troubleshoot it myself and took it to mechanic. He told me I need carb rebuilt. He ordered Holly kit and did that and he told me it was still stalling so upon further inspection also had distributor changed because he said it was shot as well.

I got my car back and it was hesitant to start. Finally cranked over and was running great. Then when I stopped at a light it seemed fine, then when light turned green it hesitated a little and stalled when I gave it some gas. :( This time when I went to turn key I noticed it really was slow cranking. Got it home and noticed battery was from 2005 and so I bought a new one and BAM fired up with a vengeance and I thought everything was peachy!

I then get 3 miles down the road in traffic and it stalls!!!!! So here are the current issues I am now having: Car starts up fine, idles fine, will stall in reverse if engine is cold, and in Drive it'll start to roll fine and I feel like it could roll forever, but then I give it gas and there is a split-second where it stutters and I feel like I need to give it gas, but feel like if I give it too much gas it will stall out. Additionally, after car has been running its playing the stalling game again when slowing down. Not all the time, but definitely enough where I don't feel safe driving it in traffic.

Very frustrated. Any ideas? I'm a newb to all of this. I'm don't know for sure but I feel like there might be a fuel/delivery problem? Totally speculation. Ayy help from the masters on the forum would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Still sounds like a fuel delivery problem. A couple of thiings I haven't heard you discuss...
1. Condition of fuel tank and fuel filter- My barracuda had a rusty tank. It would run great until the fuel filter clogged with rust. Let it sit, the rust would setting in the filter and run until it clogged back. So, trash, gum, etc. in the intake prefilter and/or lines, and/or regular fuel filter would create a fuel starvation and stall.
2. Fuel boil/percolation. - Again, with today's ethanol, fuel will boil in the lines very easily once it heats. The fuel pump along with engine heat causes the fuel to vaporize and stave the motor.
3. Fuel pump. - Could it be bad?
4. Water or other problem with gas?
5. Newly rebuilt carburetor? Trash in it?

These are a few areas where I would look. Good luck!

I might start by running a clear fuel filter, #1 you'd have a new clean filter #2 you could see if your fuel is clean. I'd probably start there.

My 69 Dart w/ 225 ran like that for decades. I had several mechanics look at it. Most said "bad valves", but didn't do a compression test that I saw. I tried many things, including valve jobs, different intake, several rebuilt carbs, electronic ignition (Crane XR700), even a new long block. Same "lean idle" shaking and slowing way down in D or R like yours, even stalling when you give it a little gas. Not fun to stall when a light turns green. Finally, the 4th Holley 1920 carb cured it, and it ran perfectly.

I know a lot more about cars today and have more diagnostic tools. One thing I learned is to not waste money on mechanics. If you have a Holley 1920, I think there are many poorly rebuilt ones out there. The sealed metering block can't be rebuilt or inspected. One guy here reported luck blowing air backwards to clean out the air metering circuit. You could also try a Carter BBD or Holley 1945. The BBD is simple to rebuild and adjust, the 1945 is preferred by many. If you close the choke plate slightly and it idles better, that is a sign of running lean. Certainly change to electronic ignition (HEI module, search here), since that will let if fire better at leaner conditions, giving better running and economy.

-
Back