Back-up lights on in forward gears??

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I put a 'new' (running from someone else's car) 904 transmission in my '70 Duster and for some reason the back-up lights come on when the shifter is in both forward and reverse gears. I put a new neutral safety switch in, could that be the problem or is there something else that could be causing it to come on in forward gears? It comes on in Drive, 2, and 1...

First question is "what model year" is the 904 out of. TFs before 69? 68? had the single terminal neutral switch, and while the 3 terminal switch is reported to work FOR NEUTRAL/ PARK, you can NOT use the backup light terminals on the older transmissions

If you have a later transmission, if you are SURE the wiring is OK, and if you are sure the switch is OK, then it's an internal problem in the trans.

............The tranny u got is from a 68 or earlier with a 1 wire neutral safety switch.......u put in a 3 wire nss ......the old style linkage inside the tranny does not have the the plastic rooster comb on it.....so what happens is that the switch is grounding out in both foreward and reverse putting on the reverse lights..........u need to put in 69 up linkage into that tranny.....u can use the linkage out of ur 70 tranny.........kim....

............The tranny u got is from a 68 or earlier with a 1 wire neutral safety switch.......u put in a 3 wire nss ......the old style linkage inside the tranny does not have the the plastic rooster comb on it.....so what happens is that the switch is grounding out in both foreward and reverse putting on the reverse lights..........u need to put in 69 up linkage into that tranny.....u can use the linkage out of ur 70 tranny.........kim....

HECK yeah this is why I love FABO...:prayer: I think you are right, it was a while ago but the reason I changed the NSS is because the one that came with the new tranny had just one pin for a wire to hook to. So is it possible to change that linkage with the tranny in the car or do I need to take it out first? I already sold the old tranny to a guy down in the springs but I might be able to hit him up and see if he has the linkage. In the meantime I guess I'll just disconnect the back-up lights, better than driving around with them on all the time.

-
Back