Back with a little progress on the '63 Valiant

-

Useless

Reaction score
Well, I haven't been on FABO much over the past month, we just moved and have slowly been getting things sorted out, then about two weeks ago someone busted out the window in my daily driver and stole my stereo and digital camera that I got for Christmas. After having to pay $175 out of pocket for a window I've been pretty paranoid keeping an eye on things around here since then, not much time for FABO.

Life must go on though, so I thought I'd share what I've gotten done with my Valiant over the past month.

I managed to clean the engine bay up a little to make life a little easier and cleaner. I also continued with my cleaning and started shining up the paint on the drivers side.

I posted up a thread with the before pictures on Slant6.org but here is what it looked like about a month or two ago when I got the car. It had been sitting for nearly a decade untouched...

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

Here's what I've got done so far and I'm just getting started ;)

100_2501.jpg

100_2502.jpg

100_2508.jpg

100_2511.jpg

As you can tell I stripped and painted the air cleaner, I also did the coil bracket which isn't back on the car yet. I've still got to work on the paint on the other side of the car, though I've only got half of what I'm going to do done to the drivers side so far. I'm doing eveything by hand, it's been hard to get motivated to finish with the 100 degree days of late.

I still don't have the car running yet, still no spark but I'm narrowing down on what the problem by replacing everything in the ignition system, new disty should be here this week and since I think that's the main issue, I should be in good shape. I am hoping to have the car running by August 9th, the date of my local mopar show....I might just make it.

Sorry for the length of the post guys, I'm just so excited that I'm finally getting close with this thing, I'll be so happy to be able to finally drive this big ugly beast. :D

Your "beast" is looking great. Keep at it, a bit at a time, next thing you know, it will be ready to go.
You have the very best name on this whole site.(wish I had of thought of it)

A little update on the Valiant. It's been pretty hot here so I haven't gotten much of anything done on the car, though I have been resisting getting another project and trying to focus on the Valiant.

I've also been formulating some top secret plans for it, looks like I'm going to end up putting way more time and money into this car than it'll ever be worth, it'll be fun though...guess that's the best investment you can make.

The new disty I ordered last time I posted finally showed up but unfortunately it ended up only being a new vacumn advance. Some things came up and I wasn't able to order a disty until yesterday, it should be here next week and hopefully the car will be up and running not long after. Wish me luck, I think I'm gonna need it!

Same here Useless!! it has been very hot in the 100's but that all changed about a week ago and I got to do some work on mine.
you sure did clean allot on the beast and she shined up good.:cheers:
Sorry to hear about the vandals that set you back.
Keep us updated, You have a great early A there len.=P~

Yeah, gotta love the old Valiants. Can't wait to see a little more progress of yours Mike, that's a swett little car.

Well, I finally went out and did a little on the car today, my rear door panels aren't in bad shape, so I wanted to pull them before the car while it sits so they remain that way.

I'm considering changing my interior color and after seeing how simple these door panels are, they should be no sweat for me to knock out. They're pretty interesting.

One panel has staples where it goes under the trim on the door, the other has none. One panel has a staple on the side sticking out. They were made by Allen Industries in Herrin, MI, I had no idea that Chrysler didnt' make their own interior stuff back then but it doesn't suprise me being they did stuff like that later on with Creative Industries on the Daytonas.

You concours guys note that the panel was stamped on the back after it was put together, lol.

100_2773.jpg

100_2774.jpg

100_2778.jpg

100_2779.jpg

100_2779.jpg

What does that say on the back of your rear panel ... "anel inspector"? Sometimes you just don't know where some parts have been. ;)

Well, did a ton of work on the Valiant over the past week or two and tonight I finally got to drive it to the local cruise in! I parked far, far away from everyone else, but I made it. Pics and another post to come.

Months of work and victory, finally!

-
Back