Backing plates

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Are backing plates the same for all 10 inch brakes?10x1 3/4,10x2 1/2??I just went to put my new drums on to see fitting,and they are not seating on center of axel.Any help would be appreaciated.Thanks

I dont think so. I'm pretty sure they sit farther in toward the center section the wider your pads are since you cant change the flange on the axle.

Well I laid down the original 10x1 3/4 plate beside a 11 inch brake backing plate and the center is higher on the 11,s.I,m only off by 1/4 inch.So I,m wondering if a backing plate for 10x2 1/2 would have a higher center than the 10x1 3/4 ??

I think I follow you. Yes, the 2 1/2" drum backing plates would sit higher than the 1 3/4". What size are you trying to run? I have a set of 10 x 1 3/4" backing plates under my workbench. I snagged a set of 2.5's off a dodge pickup for my rear end.

I,ve already got the 10x1 3/4,have new drums and shoes for 10x2 1/2.I,ll be at the parts store tommorow.Thanks anyway I appreaciate the offer.

No problem, I think those drums are hard to find- I could be wrong though. Good luck with it!

The 10x2.5 backing plates are diff. than the 1.75 ones. The drums are different too. They must be moved as at set (drums/backing plates). The axle length should be 28" if replacing the sbp to lbp.

Thanks for reply,s.I had bought a 72 Demon 8 3/4 housing with a box of stuff containing B.plates and other misc. parts.When ordering drums and shoes I went the bigger not thinking I,d have to change the plates.Well the Moser axels came in and when I went to fit everything,the drum just sat on the center of axel(shy by almost 1/2 inch)Grrr!Back to the parts store.

Just thought I,d give a heads up.I found backing plates off of a 97-99 Dakota.They are for 10x2 1/2 inch brakes.

-
Back