Backspace for front wheels... Only 4 inches..

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can someone advise me what my front wheels should be when referring to backspace need.
I have the 4.5in. for the rear rims...15 x 8 with 4.5 inch backspace.
I just need to know what size I will need it to buy when it come to the front rims. 3.5 (my case, it's a 4 inch rim) what should the size be for the backspace ?
This is a stock front end with just the front brakes being swapped/changed for discs.
The front are now discs and the rear are drums.
Thank you (All) for the answers, in advance.
MAPS

P.S. Just that I need to know (yesterday) as I'm buying them, today !

For front rims that are only 4 inches wide, the spider is gonna be pretty close to the center.A 4" rim will physically be 5" tall when you lay it on the floor. So with the spider in the center the BS will be 2.5". IDK, but I doubt you can move that spider more than 3/4", in either direction. That would make the bs range from 1.75 to 3.25 , and all will allow the front wheel to be inside the fenders . And all will spin freely on the spindle with no part of the rim or tire touching any other suspension part during suspension movement.
Whether or not the spider will clear your calipers I cannot say, but that is not a BS issue.
So then I ask; what would the backspace matter.

IDK, so I'm asking

I had 3.5" backspacing on 4.5" Welds and worked o.k. but it looked stupid . I went next to 7" wide Welds with 3.5" backspacing with 235/60's and was hitting the lower rear of the front fender . What I ended up with was : 235/60's on 15"x7"wide steelies with a 4" backspace . IMO you can use any 15"x7"or8" rim with a backspace of somewhere between 3 7/8ths and 4 1/4". You may get away with a 4 1/2" backspace but you may have to use shims which is not ideal . Currently I am using Sticky Mickey's on rear and M/T 325 Sportsmans up front . Works o.k. 'cause the car is heavy .

My wheels could be bought with a low pad, medium pad or high pad to clear the calipers like AJ mentioned.

AJ

I'm lost, lol but the backspacing on the rims I just bought are 1.75 ... I'm hoping I didn't screw up on that. They are supposed to fit I was told, but I know that folks on this site know better because of experience, trial and error and basically, Mopar fanatics.
Please tell me I didn't phukk up.
Thank you for your time gentlemen.
MAPS

AJ

I'm lost, lol but the backspacing on the rims I just bought are 1.75 ... I'm hoping I didn't screw up on that. They are supposed to fit I was told, but I know that folks on this site know better because of experience, trial and error and basically, Mopar fanatics.
Please tell me I didn't phukk up.
Thank you for your time gentlemen.
MAPS

Can someone confirm this or may I have issues down the line ?

Thanks.
MAPS

Can someone confirm this or may I have issues down the line ?

Thanks.
MAPS

-
Back