Backspacing Question...?????

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I want to purchase some chrome rims for a 76 Duster.....does 3.5 to 3.75" sound right for an average backspacing? That's what they offer in my needed rim size..........

What say ye's ??

Depends on the wheel width

3.5 to 3.75" backspacing might be ok for 7" wide wheel on rear not sure about the front

All my experiance is with 72 and earlier however I think the later model A body cars were nearly the same with the exception of bigger bolt pattern.

I would say use the 3.75 backspacing on rear it should center the rim in the wheelwell and allow the biggest possible tire to fit on the wheel with out rubbing. Probably could put a 245/60/15 on it. On the front probably the same back spacing as the rear unless they only have a 3.5" backspacing for the smaller rims.

Hopefully someone with a later model car can verify my thoughts. I like my cars to have a lot of tire under the fenders and not rub on the outside of the fender.

Usually 3.75 is about the least you want.

On a 68 Dart a 245/60/15 with 8 3/4 rear small bolt pattern is centered with 4.25" backspacing.

On the front 4.25 is the best backspacing for a 15x7 rim.

When you get into the 3.5 and 3.75 backspacing in front you might rub the lower front fender lip if you get a tall or wide or both tire.

-
Back