Bad coolant leak in 440 - help!!

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
I've got a big weird coolant leak in the 440 and it looks like it's coming from behind the exhaust manifold gaskets on both sides. I'm using fenderwell headers and copper gaskets.
I've also used my original 383 engines closed chamber heads on the 440 and arp header bolts.

Is it possible that coolant is coming from the bolt threads?? Do They enter water jackets in the heads.
I've got 2 sets of normal exhaust manifold gaskets ready to use.

Coolant Temp is at 80 degrees Celsius, timing at 10 degrees initial, oil pressure is good.

I'm freakin out!

I'm gonna start pulling the headers out and I'll see if I can borrow a friends pressure tester to pinpoint the leaks.

Anyone else experienced this Issue.??

Yes, the exhaust bolts go into water jackets. You have to put thread sealer on all the bolts before screwing then in.

Without thread sealer of some kind will leak around bolts. The exhaust gaskets have nothing to do with sealing that. Just drain down coolant and take out one at a time. Apply sealer and reinstall. Silicone should work...

Yeah it was the bolts. Used some thread tape which fixed 90% of the leaks, the back two are still leaking slightly. Will cover them with some hi temp silicon and see if that solves the problem.
Maybe I'll go get a stud kit if all else fails.

Yeah it was the bolts. Used some thread tape which fixed 90% of the leaks, the back two are still leaking slightly. Will cover them with some hi temp silicon and see if that solves the problem.
Maybe I'll go get a stud kit if all else fails.

I like the way Teflon paste works on the exhaust bolts better than the tape , I just bought mine at Lowes in the plumbing section

-
Back