bad fuel guage...how far to empty??

-

djais1801

Reaction score
So I am left to the odometer method until I can remedy fuel guage issue. My 69 Roadrunner 383 I would refill around 300 miles.

I have a 72 Demon 340 4spd with holley 670 street avenger and 3:55 rear. Am I safe at 150 miles to empty you think?

I remember taking a 275 mile trip in my 68RR-383 & 3.23, all freeway driving, and I got there on fumes. Your 150 miles seems safe on paper, but often the MPG you get is less than you'd think.

Here is something else you should look at besides the gage. If your sending unit is original, pull it and look at it. My filter sock was completely gone and only half of the float was still intact.

I remember taking a 275 mile trip in my 68RR-383 & 3.23, all freeway driving, and I got there on fumes. Your 150 miles seems safe on paper, but often the MPG you get is less than you'd think.

Here is something else you should look at besides the gage. If your sending unit is original, pull it and look at it. My filter sock was completely gone and only half of the float was still intact.
thanks for the heads up...I think it's the actually the guage...I tapped the glass and it came up a bit

If you're able to tap the gauge and bring it back to life it's most likely a bad voltage limiter on the back of the cluster. Get a solid state one
Main Page - rte

In the case of a-body rally panel, to tap on that lens is the very worse thing you could do. That could apply to any I guess.
These instruments are most often attached to a printed circuit board with pal nuts. Those nuts can become loose with age. Why? The threaded stud there is swedged in fiber board that distorts over time. Add temperature swings, moisture, vibration, etc... that's why.
If tapping on the lens gets a result then a harder hit anywhere on the dash might do the same. I wont beat on a good dash pad or anything else though. I'll get a service manual for instructions, pull the inst' panel and fix it.

-
Back