Bad fuse panel

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
So last week I was watching a show about spotting flood damaged cars. Well my Barracuda has ALL the signs rust on the dash, floors had light rust. I did not see the carpet but my brother said it STUNK of mildew. I did not think anything of it at the time but now that I am trying to track down the last of my electrical issues I think it may be related.

I have checked all my wires and none are damaged. I have replaced several connectors that looked bad. So my final step is to replace the fuse panel. Where can I find a fuse panel? Can I just use any 6 fuse panel or is there something special in the OEM?

This is for your early Barracuda ?

For a plug and go I bet a good fuse box and fire wall plug distribution box can be found here.
I would sure hope so.

Looking at #67 picture I see what you mean..

It did not get high enough to interact with the firewall connector. The rust pretty much stops about an inch or so above the bottom of the dash. Which unfortunately is where the panel is mounted. I found one on eBay but I have not bought it yet. I was hoping to find a source for a new fuse panel.

It came out of north Lousiana but I did purchase it not long after Katrina. My brother lived in Baton Rouge and the person I bought it from owned it for 3 years about 45 minutes from my brother but I can not remember the city.

Also there was a pretty fair amount rust through out the lower half of the car. inside and out. The door panels were also shot even though the original vapor barrier was intact.

As old as all these cars are, just about any of 'em has wiring issues. My 67 was in dry storage and is essentially rust free. But there were several issues with things like the bulkhead connector, the headlight switch and connector, and the dimmer switch, as well as the fuse panel. On the other hand, the rear and front lighting harness is in pretty good shape.

So last week I was watching a show about spotting flood damaged cars. Well my Barracuda has ALL the signs rust on the dash, floors had light rust. I did not see the carpet but my brother said it STUNK of mildew. I did not think anything of it at the time but now that I am trying to track down the last of my electrical issues I think it may be related.

I have checked all my wires and none are damaged. I have replaced several connectors that looked bad. So my final step is to replace the fuse panel. Where can I find a fuse panel? Can I just use any 6 fuse panel or is there something special in the OEM?

For a plug and go I bet a good fuse box and fire wall plug distribution box can be found here.
I would sure hope so.

Looking at #67 picture I see what you mean..

It did not get high enough to interact with the firewall connector. The rust pretty much stops about an inch or so above the bottom of the dash. Which unfortunately is where the panel is mounted. I found one on eBay but I have not bought it yet. I was hoping to find a source for a new fuse panel.

Where are these pictures that memike are talking about? Show the water marks. Most connectors are above the fuse panel and the fuse panel is even with or above the bulk head connector. Bulk head connecter issues have plagued these cars every since I have been around them, especially if a bunch of aftermarket power eating equipment was installed.

My fuse panel is attached to the bottom edge of the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. Almost against the kickpanel and in front of the fresh air box. I have cleaned both sides of my bulkhead connector as well as the the connectors. I have checked for a voltage drop through the positive and negative connectors on the bulk head connector and it reads .03 millivolts.

-
Back