Bad gas???

-

Shamrock--WV2NC

Reaction score
I filled up with 89 non ethanol from the same place I always do. I drove about 1/4 mile and the car started spitting and sputtering dying out several times. I managed to get it home which is only half mile away. It’s back firing out the carb when I push the gas. It started idling fine so I thought a trip around the block. Up to 1500rpm it did ok. When I got on it, it was like it wasn’t getting gas. So I limped it back home. Bad gas? Is there something I could add to it to help? I just filled up. Gas gauge doesn’t work so I fill completely up every 100 miles. I’ve been working and today was the first day I had daylight to do anything. I filled up Tuesday. But I drive it Tuesday to work and back. Then drove to store with no issues. It started right after filling up on the way home. Any suggestions?

sure you didn't fill it with Diesel? my dad did this once in a '54 Ford, acted the same way.. lol. I'd suggest using an electric pump to pump it out of the tank, then refill it at a different station and see how it acts.

When it backfired did it blow off a vaccume lines ?

It's pretty unlikely it is the gas. If the tank was super low you may have stirred some stuff up and clogged the sock in the tank.

Since I don't necessarily believe in coincidences any you never had issues before fill up then suspect the gas. Maybe a shot of water in the gas although not sure how that makes it backfire. I had similar symptoms once with idleing well and driving at low speeds okay but no acceleration - ended up being the tank intake line plugged and only let so much fuel through. Not sure how a fill up would cause this suddenly.

If you take it to a mechanic and it is bad gas and you have your receipt many companies will pay for the labor and parts to fix your car!!!

452E7276-B954-45A3-BB13-37B0317D2892.jpeg
Your an ICK man Biff. lol
Sorry:(

Run some gas into a Mason jar and let it sit for an hour or two, if there's water in it it will separate out and you'll easily be able to see it.

First thing I did was see if you were from Ohio

Here in Ohio, about a week ago the fuel truck put diesel in the regular tanks at several speedways, a whole lot of people had problems
Check your gas, if it can happen once...........

A bottle of Heet combined with a bottle of Iso-Heet together will also get water out. If you get water, it will make a gel around the fuel sock and inside the fuel filters and restrict flow enough to drop running level fuel height. This will cause all the problems described including the lean backfire on acceleration, especially when cold. If the water removers work, put a bottle of B-12 ChemTool injector cleaner in the next tank to work on all the varnish that starts to form from water destabilizing the fuel.

Last edited:
Run some gas into a Mason jar and let it sit for an hour or two, if there's water in it it will separate out and you'll easily be able to see it.

It started right after filling up on the way home.

It certainly sounds like water. I would try the above, you'll know if it's water and possibly how bad when it separates.

I filled up with 89 non ethanol from the same place I always do. I drove about 1/4 mile and the car started spitting and sputtering dying out several times. I managed to get it home which is only half mile away. It’s back firing out the carb when I push the gas. It started idling fine so I thought a trip around the block. Up to 1500rpm it did ok. When I got on it, it was like it wasn’t getting gas. So I limped it back home. Bad gas? Is there something I could add to it to help? I just filled up. Gas gauge doesn’t work so I fill completely up every 100 miles. I’ve been working and today was the first day I had daylight to do anything. I filled up Tuesday. But I drive it Tuesday to work and back. Then drove to store with no issues. It started right after filling up on the way home. Any suggestions?
Did you happen to hose off the engine over the weekend before going to the gas station. Been there done that:elmer:

He drove it to and from work the day before he fillederup. Soo...
Sometimes it takes a while for the condensation to move up into the cap, for example if the weather were cool/cold it may not get hot enough. So my question is this; was water applied to the distributor prior to the engine acting up. Typically you will notice the shorting across electrodes after you have run the engine for a while then shut if off just long enough for the condensate to rise.

-
Back