Bad heater motor bearings? 67 Dart non A/C

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Bad fan motor bearings or brushes?

The fan makes this sound in low speed, when in heat or defrost it doesn't make it as often. With the heat / defrost lever in the full left( closed) position it goes crazy.

I'll look In my FSM but can the motor be removed with out removing the heater?

Dang, have to remove the heater to get the motor out.

Anyone disassembled the motor and replaced bushings or brushes?

Wonder if there is debris in the box? Hard to tell by the sound.

Buy new. Fix it and be done with it.
I have tried and never was happy with experimenting with fan motor repair. My time is worth more than a 60 dollar motor.

The heat only case isn't nearly as difficult as heat/ac. May as well have the seal kit from DMT before you pull it.
I think I saw a new motor form rockauto in a recent thread. I wouldn't buy that until I confirm I need it. As said above, could be something foreign in there.

I'd guess bad front bearing/bushing. Years ago my '77 Ramcharger blower motor started squealing under the hood side. I drilled it similar to this to try and get some lube in there right on the truck. Lo and behold it actually worked.....
upload_2020-3-15_8-41-55.png

But then again ya' never know what can get in there.
Mouse_Wheel.gif

I have done that before also and it worked.
A shot of oil and a dab of black RTV.

Bad fan motor bearings or brushes?

The fan makes this sound in low speed, when in heat or defrost it doesn't make it as often. With the heat / defrost lever in the full left( closed) position it goes crazy.

I'll look In my FSM but can the motor be removed with out removing the heater?

That sounds exactly like something got in the way of the blower (squirrel cage)
When you put your lever to the far left it closes the door inside the heater and the fan spins faster due to not being able to pull air.
This is probably why it goes crazy when the lever is in the far left position.

Those non AC boxes are easy to get out, you just have to deal with the J hook inside the right vent box.
Then it's just the three bolts around the blower motor under the hood, the hoses and cables.
Cables are best gotten to with the glove box out.
Then pop the clips off that hold the case halves together and clean it out.

I used contact glue (3M weather strip cement) and replaced all the vent and control doors foam.

heater ready.jpg

-
Back