Bad k-frame?

-
I'd love to see a picture of what you're talking about. Because I've never heard of their being a difference between a power steering K and a manual steering K, or any way to identify them one way or another. Not saying they're not different but I've never heard of it, and all the K frame ID charts I've ever seen ( from Firm feel, Schumacher, etc) lump the 67-72 V8 K's into one category with the only exception being the '67 idler arm. But '67 had some one year stuff so maybe that has something to do with it.

I know there was no difference at all in the K's for manual or power steering from 73-76, and that the K's on both of my '71's, one a factory power steering car and the other a factory manual steering car, are identical to each other.

Here's the other side of the bracket and a picture of the two holes where the tranny was supposed to go

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

Yup, ball stud for the z-bar. Not sure if it was originally an automatic transmission car that was BADLY modified for a 4-speed or a 4-speed car that was just hacked up, but someone definitely did some hacking.

This is what the factory z-bar bracket looks like
P1040265 copy.JPG

And the holes in the floor should look something like this. This is from my Duster, which was originally an auto car, but I traced the cut outs from a section of floor pan from an original 4 speed car.
IMG_1006_zpse3bfb875.jpg

There were no power steering or manual steering k-members. For each year range ('67, '68-'72, '73-'76) the only difference was for engine family.

There were no power steering or manual steering k-members. For each year range ('67, '68-'72, '73-'76) the only difference was for engine family.

The oracle has spoken! :D

I didn't think there was a difference but with ma Mopar I've learned never to say never unless I'm really darn sure.

I'd love to see a picture of what you're talking about. Because I've never heard of their being a difference between a power steering K and a manual steering K, or any way to identify them one way or another. Not saying they're not different but I've never heard of it, and all the K frame ID charts I've ever seen ( from Firm feel, Schumacher, etc) lump the 67-72 V8 K's into one category with the only exception being the '67 idler arm. But '67 had some one year stuff so maybe that has something to do with it.

I know there was no difference at all in the K's for manual or power steering from 73-76, and that the K's on both of my '71's, one a factory power steering car and the other a factory manual steering car, are identical to each other.

Here's some pictures of the old K Frame with the mod from the factory, the 68 had the triangular support in place. I had to cut that one out to match this. 273 formula s with power steering. I'm sorry it took so long, the pic's from my cell were too large. I grabbed my old camera for this shot. They are covered in saw dust, I'm redoing a bathroom and the garage is now a carpentry shop..LOL

IMG_0611-2.jpg

IMG_0612-2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I see the piece you removed. All I can say is that you had a bracket problem with locating the power steering pump, not a K frame problem.

This is the K frame on my factory power steering equipped '71 GT. All matching numbers, pretty much all original when I got it, including the power steering. I highlighted the part of the K it looks like you removed for clearance.

IMG_3642.jpg
IMG_3641.jpg

Actually I wouldn't have had to cut the piece out if it looked like yours, mine wasn't laid over. It stood up and had a bend pointing towards the battery.

All the '68-72 sb V8 K frames should look like the one I posted. If it didn't, it might not have been stock. Maybe Jim can chime in again, he's seen a lot more than I have. But both of the K's on my '71's look just like the one I posted.

I have never seen a bracket like that. The parts book that I have (Galen's) shows a single part # for each engine family. No reference to steering.

Here's a picture of the 68 K frame ready to go into the car. The second is the one I took out. You can see where they cut the original brace out and the new one with it in place. I removed it before I installed the K frame. The new one came from a 1968 Barracuda.
WP_20140627_18_00_35_Pro__highres-1.jpg
IMG_0612-3.jpg

I'll take a close look at my GTS tomorrow if I get the chance, but I am fairly certain that is not there.

I'm not sure where the Kframe was put together, but I wonder if they all used the same design. The new one I used was from a 68 Barracuda with manual steering. My old original came with my car new. It was a original P/S car. It was Plymouth, who knows why they did it...

Ok, I must have spent way too much time over the years dealing with 73-up k-members. My GTS has the bracket in the pic. If that won't clear the PS pump, you have the wrong pump or brackets. Early motors have the pump way up high.

The 273 that came from the factory might have been mounted higher but it had a larger open pulley. There is a 360 in it now and all the associated brackets. Everything fits nicely. My apologies for changing the thread, most of the k frames have awful welds and should be gone over before you install them. Later accessory brackets may mean some mods will be needed.

-
Back