bad lifter?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
I removed the intake manifold from my newly built 360, which I've only run about 30 minutes because its been running rough, and I'm replacing the Torker intake with a Performer, and replacing the carb.

Discovered the camshaft still looks great thankfully. But #1 cyl exhaust rocker still really loose (I noticed it once before when I removed valve cover while troubleshooting rough idle). Do I have a hydraulic lifter that only pumps up when the motor is running? or should I replace this lifter?
Can a guy replace only 1 lifter?

Thanks again for your help mopar fans!

Does it make noise when it's running? Or it just feels lose when it's been off for a little while? I'd suggest if it's quiet, to take the rocker shaft off and use a straight edge to see if all the valve stem heights are equal. Maybe one is "shorter" than the others. If it's not noisey I wouldn't replace the lifter. Find out why it's lose.

thanks moper. I cant tell if its noisy or not because I'm still running straight off the headers. I need to get down to the exhaust shop for dual exhaust. But I need to get this thing running decent first. I checked it over really good today with the intake manifold off and valve covers: I don't see anything wrong other than that lifter does not lift the valve as high as the other lifters do (I cranked the engine bit by bit).

Is it possible to get one bad lifter in a set (from summit) that doesnt fill up with oil and provide full lift? Or am I worrying too much and it probably fills up when I start the motor?

Anything is possible as far as a bad part, wouldn't be the first time. If you feel you need to change the lifter, call Summit and tell them you think you have a bad lifter and they'll probably send you a new set with a return tag for the old.

While you have it apart pull the lifter in question and check the bottom of it, it should still have some convex to it. Check your pushrod and rocker arm for wear.

Thanks Badsport. I checked the lifter and it looks good on the bottom, in fact I cant see anything wrong with it visually, but I ordered a new one from summit today. Since I have the intake off, and a single lifter is cheap, I'm gonna go ahead and change it. The rocker, pushrod and shaft all looked good.

Thanks Badsport. I checked the lifter and it looks good on the bottom, in fact I cant see anything wrong with it visually, but I ordered a new one from summit today. Since I have the intake off, and a single lifter is cheap, I'm gonna go ahead and change it. The rocker, pushrod and shaft all looked good.

I had the exact same problem except mine was the #7 intake rocker arm which was extremely loose with the ball of the push rod almost coming out the side of the rocker. I was like you every thing checked out and then it happened, the spring for this rocker arm collapsed, fortunately nothing else happened. I replaced the spring and double checked this rocker arm and the play is about the same as the others so if I were you I would definetly test your spring. You may have a weak one...

-
Back