bad vibs....

-

Bowtie Hunter

Reaction score
Mopar experts...I have a 65 dart with a factory four spd..at hyway speeds there is a vibration in the clutch pedal and you can feel the t.o.bearing running.... My question is WHY???????????????

Just talked to my Pop and he's thinking the clutch needs adjusting. The throw out bearing shouldn't be touching the pressure plate and that's what it sounds like is happening, hence the reason the t.o. is spinning and the clutch pedal is vibrating

Nice call by pops. I didn't think about that one.

Nice call by pops. I didn't think about that one.

My own personal sounding board. He cut his teeth hot rodding flatheads back in the '50s. And after driving tractor trailer for 25 years and 3M miles like he did I'm definately gonna take his word on how a clutch should feel. lol

Just talked to my Pop and he's thinking the clutch needs adjusting. The throw out bearing shouldn't be touching the pressure plate and that's what it sounds like is happening, hence the reason the t.o. is spinning and the clutch pedal is vibrating

I have adjusted the clutch to where it is all the way to the floor almost and I still can feel the throw out bearing in the pedal... I now have it adjusted so the bearing has about 1in. of play in the clutch arm...

With that much free play in the clutch and the pressure plate and throw out are still touching enough to spin up the t.o. at speed then it's really time to start thinking clutch pack, t.o., and resurface. Could be now the pressure plate is worn now enough it's still making partial contact with the t.o. even with proper adjustment or the t.o is wobbling enough to make contact. How long had it been since the clutch had been adjusted?
Pop also wants to know if you have put a clutch pack in or are going to how much wobble is in the input shaft of the tranny...also check the bushing in the crank.

With that much free play in the clutch and the pressure plate and throw out are still touching enough to spin up the t.o. at speed then it's really time to start thinking clutch pack, t.o., and resurface. Could be now the pressure plate is worn now enough it's still making partial contact with the t.o. even with proper adjustment or the t.o is wobbling enough to make contact. How long had it been since the clutch had been adjusted?
Pop also wants to know if you have put a clutch pack in or are going to how much wobble is in the input shaft of the tranny...also check the bushing in the crank.

The clutch,pressure plate,pilot bearing,and t.o.bearing are all less than a year old... What really bothers me is there is no vibs. in the shifter handle.. I would think that if the pilot shaft is out of tolllerence that I would feel it in the shifter handle...The trans is very smooth... Let me take time to thank you for your help here...

The clutch,pressure plate,pilot bearing,and t.o.bearing are all less than a year old... What really bothers me is there is no vibs. in the shifter handle.. I would think that if the pilot shaft is out of tolllerence that I would feel it in the shifter handle...The trans is very smooth... Let me take time to thank you for your help here...

Yeah, would think if it was the tranny itself, then shifter would have vibe in it, too. We're still thinking the pressure plate and/or the t.o. are worn on this end, though. Explains a lot of the goings on... the only thing that makes sense to me is that the plate and the t.o are touching...

I would take the inspection plate off and look into the bellhousing with a good shop light to see if maybe something worked loose or anything is visibly wrong, if your pedal is vibrating something in there isn’t right.

I would take the inspection plate off and look into the bellhousing with a good shop light to see if maybe something worked loose or anything is visibly wrong, if your pedal is vibrating something in there isn’t right.

Yup.

-
Back