Bad year for snakes

-

jaws

I put the fun in dysfunctional
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
this big fella came to visit in my garage. He lost the fight, rite at 4 ft long. Fifth one this year.

1FC68120-A103-4B8E-8E42-B460DB472A51.jpeg

9B071778-1599-4E28-A582-B4B1E074942F.jpeg

wow.... must be a den of 'em close by. I'd be huntin' around to see what I could come up with......

Eat the bastards and make belts from their hides...call it “eco-recycling”!

He shouldn't have brought a pair of fangs and a rattle to a gunfight!

Man am I glad the snakes around here just look scary!
I've had two interactions with rattlesnakes. Both at Ft. Sill OK. The 1st was at an M16 range. I took the cover off a fox hole and there it was. Coiled up and rattle going. I wanted to shot it. I got threatened with a Article 15 and backed away. Range control came and got it.
The 2nd time, I was driving a HEMMT on the hardball at Ft. Sill and it was sunning itself on the road. Needless to say, I didn't swerve to miss it.
I never saw any, but when I was in Iraq and Saudi Arabia, I got into the habit of shaking my boots out every morning. I was told little snakes called Asp's would crawl into boots. I was more worried about scorpion's.

Where I grew up on the ranch, the rats eat the feed, the snakes eat the rats and we ate the snakes.... circle of life....

I sure hope you didn't waste him. They are fantastic grilled or fried.

Called my neighbor down the street and gave it to him. I like the meat but can't take all the bones.

Probably looking for a cool place to hide, put some hardware cloth across the door opening, they'll get caught up in that

Probably looking for a cool place to hide, put some hardware cloth across the door opening, they'll get caught up in that

Funny, wasn`t a rattler , I`m sure, but I chopped up a 5 1/2 to 6 ft snake skin in my back yard mowing yesterday. Hope it is a mole eater !! LOL ,I poured about a cup each of 50/50 mixed dirty
antifreeze down 2 mole holes, week or so ago, about 4-5 days after that, I found a dead mole the dogs brought up behind the back dog house. Am I on to something here ?! Absolutely nothing has worked on the mole problem! I still don`t have any gophers tho/ after gassing the holes w/ lawnmower exhaust, been over a yr.!
SORRY FOR SLIGHT TREAD JACK, I`M GOOD AT IT !!

I guess we are lucky, and don’t see them that often. We only have timber rattlers and copperheads around here. When we do, they are normally about 40”. However, just got this one with the mower a few days ago

C4FCE184-6B7D-4F0B-987B-824454EAA551.jpeg

NO f''ing way!

I have a Bond Arms .410 does wonders!

I hate 'em!

Here's a couple pics of one from Lyons a few months ago. Somebody killed this one, 10 ft. from the front door of the Lyons Senior center. That's all we need is for one of our seniors to get bit.
Anyway, when I heard about it, I ran down there to claim the remains.
I skinned him out, tanned the skin by cleaning it of any meat or membrane, and then soaking it for a couple days in a solution of glycerin and rubbing alcohol. Then tacked it out of a board to dry, then mounted to a board with some 3m spray adhesive. Not quite finished with it, I was planning on making a frame around it in a darker wood, and then maybe covered with a piece of glass.

p.s. without the head he came out to around 24"

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

Too bad it's dead. I get it though.

I'd look around for a nest.

I haven't seen a single one yet this year. I have seen a couple of bull snakes but no rattlers. I don't kill the bull snakes.

That is a good looking mount of a DEAD snake!

Dark border of maybe 1" Chestnut would look good.

I was bitten by a constrictor during survival school in the Philippines and I have not got over it yet!

I hate em!

Too bad it's dead. I get it though.

I'd look around for a nest.
Nest??

They aren’t bees.

Snakes only den up together in Winter to conserve body heat...or in the Spring to mate, depending on the species.

Otherwise snakes are loners, foraging for prey as they can.

-
Back