Baffled Aluminum Fuel Tank/Rear Subframe Rigity Enhancer

-

thepaintguy

Reaction score
I cut out the spare tire well... and them some more, and a little more, and developed a larger tank that drop's in through the trunk. The reason of the expansively large top plate? It can and will bolt directly to the rear sub frame rails on both sides, as well as connecting the rear body panel and rear axle well. The reason the bottom of the rear tank is cut on an angle? I don't like seeing big, square, bulky, fuel tanks hanging down. This tank also allows for 3&1/2" exhaust pipe clearance without heating the Fuel Tank. It's a simple plan, but I knew what I wanted.
I haven't cut anymore holes in it yet for the sump and sending unit because I'm thinking Fuel Injection on my Cross Ram Manifold.
Cool thing is that BMW sells a 26" tall space saver spare tire, which fits on both front and rear for temporary service on the '67 Dart GT. I'll have to cut out the center of the wheel and weld in a 5 on 4.5" BBP plate. I'll store the spare and a scissors jack/lug wrench as far under the package tray that I can with a J Bolt/Butterfly nut that will hold everything in place.

20170209_140200.jpg

20170209_140222.jpg

20170209_140255.jpg

Look at jeep safety spares I have a 15" one that is just about 26 tall.

Will the floor flex without stiffening ribs?
There is not much floor left. I used a slightly heavier gauge top plate to help with structural rigidity.
The tank can also be drilled/bolted to the trunk floor that is left... which isn't much. There shouldn't be anything that will flex at this point.

tpg

That's what I was thinking, because my wheels were on a Jeep Cherokee so I know they would fit.
What Jeep Model are writing about? The BMW Space Saver Spare is $185... then I have to do a little fabrication for it to fit.

What Jeep Model are writing about? The BMW Space Saver Spare is $185... then I have to do a little fabrication for it to fit.

From what I have seen, most Jeeps that are 5 lug have the 4.5 pattern, as well as a bunch of the 5 lug Fords.
Mine specifically came off a Jeep Cherokee, and I got all four for 70 bucks off Craigslist. (15x8) with a 4.5 backspace.
That tells me the spares would also fit, but I use a standard tire and wheel and just deal with the bump under the trunk carpet.
Having a flat trunk floor isn't worth having to use a temp style wheel and tire to me. :D

rim.jpg

Last edited:
I've had one flat tire in my life- on the road- back in 1975. I want a space saver tire. I like driving across, and down, the state often. I hope I never need a spare, but a little one that doesn't take up any room in the trunk is OK by me. I will look into the Jeep spare though- sounds like a good idea.
Thank You,
tpg

I like that a lot. I was thinking of doing something similar with a 20-gallon aluminum fuel cell on mine. I'll have to find a welder and see how much something similar would cost.

I like that a lot. I was thinking of doing something similar with a 20-gallon aluminum fuel cell on mine. I'll have to find a welder and see how much something similar would cost.
I actually built/mocked up this tank first using 1/4" plywood and 1x2's. Kept fitting it/reworking it over and over as I made adjustments. I wanted to get this absolutely right for my aluminum welder/fabricator. He told me no one has ever built him a template like this to work off of. I have less than $500 in this tank, plus a half day of mock up. Money well spent. My goal was to have a higher fuel capacity as I don't expect to get much more than 10 to 12 mpg. The way it is constructed should also maintain/reinforce structural integrity in the rear body.
FI might make mpg's a little better- something I'm about to bite the bullet on.
tpg

This is exactly what I'm looking for. My trunk floor has been cut out and a flat sheet welded in.

-
Back