bait and switch car parts

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
So I bought some gaskets online that are the image on the left. I received the ones on the right.
I want to return them but the vendor says they're indeed the same gasket(lol) and the one on the right is superior and much thicker. Don't look thicker to me.
But earlier you said they were the same??
I have a poor experience with these perforated style gaskets, especially on headers.
Paid with Paypal, overseas vendor.

gasket side by side comparison opel 1900.jpg

What would you do?

how much were they? sub $40 write it off as a learning experience. leave a bad review and move on with life.

more than that, tell the seller that you're going to contact PP and ask for a refund due to misrepresented items, or incorrect item. give them a chance to make right. if they don't refund, then hit up PP and make your case with with photos and comms from the seller.

if you paid F&F then you're SOL. hang them on the wall as a reminder to not buy from overseas and pay F&F

Little over 50 bucks for two sets, nothing crazy. I paid regular paypal but I'm giving this guy a lot of chances. Honest mistake I will always forgive

Little over 50 bucks for two sets, nothing crazy. I paid regular paypal but I'm giving this guy a lot of chances. Honest mistake I will always forgive
don't let him drag his feet and run out the clock on the time frame for getting a refund!

I generally buy Fel Pro from any of the popular websites, Rock Auto, Summit or Jegs . But if trying to save $$$ I can understand . I would go lower end on a customer car if that's what they wanted.

I've seen several complaints about this lately.

Did the ad have the fine print disclaimer- "Photos are for illustrative purposes only. The actual part you receive may be different" or similar?

I personally could not do business that way, or even sleep at night unless I put that phrase in large letters right above the picture, and only then if I tried but could not find an actual pic (hey, maybe take one yourself).

Certain things I would NEVER buy without an image of the actual item. Sounds like the design that wasn't represented correctly WAS kind of a big deal to you.

Last edited:
Report to PayPal. They have buyer protection, it takes maybe 10 minutes to do so. Often PayPal will refund you and let you keep the item. If nothing else it starts the clock and puts pressure on the seller to make it right.

I've seen several complaints about this lately.

Did the ad have the fine print disclaimer- "Photos are for illustrative purposes only. The actual part you receive may be different" or similar?

I personally could not do business that way, or even sleep at night unless I put that phrase in large letters right above the picture, and only then if I tried but could not find an actual pic (hey, maybe take one yourself).

Certain things I would NEVER buy without an actual image of the item. Sound like the design that wasn't represented correctly WAS kind of a big deal to you.
This gasket was the only one I could find that wasn't that perforated type, price was not a concern, this is a customer's car.
The last perforated gasket lasted one heat cycle in his application.

No photo disclaimers, and I even remarked to the seller that the gasket looked good quality and didn't mind paying the shipping from Denmark.
He had plenty of chances to say, hey by the way, I'm gunna send a different one.

Report to PayPal. They have buyer protection, it takes maybe 10 minutes to do so. Often PayPal will refund you and let you keep the item. If nothing else it starts the clock and puts pressure on the seller to make it right.
I will do that today. Not sure what the window is, but I definitely appreciate the idea!

I generally buy Fel Pro from any of the popular websites, Rock Auto, Summit or Jegs . But if trying to save $$$ I can understand . I would go lower end on a customer car if that's what they wanted.
I got a $200 quote for a copper custom gasket, ouch.
Rock did have one gasket in stock, FelPro, just bought it. Should've got that one in the first place

So, what exactly did you buy and what was sent? Were the boxes and part numbers different? I've never had any luck with those perforated types with headers. I didn't think they were even supposed to be used with headers.

"What would you do?"

I'd buy Remflex and be done with it. I've never had problems with them. Heck, I often reuse them successfully on my Mopars too. Just have to be careful when dis-assembling, but even when they split in half, They will seal when reassembled without any missing pieces.

"What would you do?"

I'd buy Remflex and be done with it. I've never had problems with them. Heck, I often reuse them successfully on my Mopars too. Just have to be careful when dis-assembling, but even when they split in half, They will seal when reassembled without any missing pieces.
^^^ Yep! Remflex and Percy's (if they even make them still?) have always worked for me, but I wasn't going to go there. :lol:

So I bought some gaskets online that are the image on the left. I received the ones on the right.
I want to return them but the vendor says they're indeed the same gasket(lol) and the one on the right is superior and much thicker. Don't look thicker to me.
But earlier you said they were the same??
I have a poor experience with these perforated style gaskets, especially on headers.
Paid with Paypal, overseas vendor.

View attachment 1716141263
What would you do?
These? DODGE Remflex Inc. 6008 Remflex Exhaust Header Gasket Sets | Summit Racing

"What would you do?"

I'd buy Remflex and be done with it.
I had never heard of Remflex, but I needed a set and they were the only ones available in town, so I decided to try them. Never buy another brand now, have reused them, without issue, never leaked. Very happy with them.

So, what exactly did you buy and what was sent? Were the boxes and part numbers different? I've never had any luck with those perforated types with headers. I didn't think they were even supposed to be used with headers.
I bought the ones on the left in the first post, and received the ones on the right.
I'm with you on the perforated ones. I consider them last resort only.
These are on a 4 cylinder turbo that loves to destroy gaskets

I bought the ones on the left in the first post, and received the ones on the right.
I understand that, but what is the part number and manufacturer for whatever you ordered? Does it match what you received? How do the packages compare?

Sometimes, 'off-brands' will use the same part numbers and similar logos (or even counterfeit packaging), along with pictures of the genuine part on the online ad to mislead consumers into thinking they're getting a deal on the genuine part. MSD, Bosch, and many other counterfeits come to mind. That's why manufacturers urge people to buy from an authorized retailer vs. somewhere like Amazon, Ebay, or even Rock Auto.

Those with the perforated metal are exhaust manifold gaskets. Having said that, besides Remflex, I've had the best luck with exhaust manifold gaskets on headers. You have to put them on the right way, though.

I understand that, but what is the part number and manufacturer for whatever you ordered? Does it match what you received? How do the packages compare?

Sometimes, 'off-brands' will use the same part numbers and similar logos (or even counterfeit packaging), along with pictures of the genuine part on the online ad to mislead consumers into thinking they're getting a deal on the genuine part. MSD, Bosch, and many other counterfeits come to mind. That's why manufacturers urge people to buy from an authorized retailer vs. somewhere like Amazon, Ebay, or even Rock Auto.
The gaskets are unbranded with no part numbers. It's just "gasket" along with a price and a picture. I'm a little embarrassed to be honest.
And now I see my item has been removed from the website, except it's still pictured as part of a full engine gasket set at Home

Still there:
switched gasket.jpg

The gaskets are unbranded with no part numbers. It's just "gasket" along with a price and a picture. I'm a little embarrassed to be honest.
And now I see my item has been removed from the website, except it's still pictured as part of a full engine gasket set at Home

Still there:
View attachment 1716141804
Oh, yeah I see what you're talking about. They're clearly pulling one over on people. If nothing else, you learned a lesson. You could certainly try filing a claim with PayPal, or even try a charge back on your credit card. You just have to decide if it's worth the effort.

Oh, yeah I see what you're talking about. They're clearly pulling one over on people. If nothing else, you learned a lesson. You could certainly try filing a claim with PayPal, or even try a charge back on your credit card. You just have to decide if it's worth the effort.
I learned a lesson. The seller said he'll do a return, and I'll take him up on that.
He did try to lecture me about gaskets but I wouldn't hear it.

These Slant 6 Remflex gaskets are great too. Doug Dutra schooled me on the fact that it is essetial to use the correct factory style fasteners and to properly torque them to factory specs. He explained that due to the design, the manifolds kind of float on the head due to heating and cooling cycles.

He also custom ground the washer pads on his Dutra Duals so that the washers sat even between the intake and exhaust manifolds. He assembled the manifolds together and then blanchard ground the mounting faces to ensure a leak free seal. Worked great on my old Slanty. His tuning tricks while building the motor for me added a lot of pep too.

Here's the seller's latest reply for your enjoyment. I've decided to bypass paypal and go straight credit dispute. Guy's a real gem.
He wanted me to return the parts to California to save shipping costs, but wanted me to pay that too.
Hello
You can forget it. Shipping costs are higher than expected.
That doesn't pay off.
thanks
Udo

That’s a frustrating experience!

Seems odd that Denmark would be a place to buy exhaust manifold/header gaskets for a V8 though? My spidey senses would be tingling buying V8 components from a European country when North America is pretty well V8 land? Ok, France was the first country to make a V8 but then Cadillac was the first company to mass produce a V8 and the rest is pretty well history……

That's a real bummer. "Shipping costs are higher than expected. That doesn't pay off." You mean it has to pay off to make it right for the customer who received the wrong part?

What a POS.

That’s a frustrating experience!

Seems odd that Denmark would be a place to buy exhaust manifold/header gaskets for a V8 though? My spidey senses would be tingling buying V8 components from a European country when North America is pretty well V8 land? Ok, France was the first country to make a V8 but then Cadillac was the first company to mass produce a V8 and the rest is pretty well history……
They're for a 1972 Opel Manta 4 cylinder. Technically a GM but even gaskets are a challenge to find. Cool details you put in there
That's a real bummer. "Shipping costs are higher than expected. That doesn't pay off." You mean it has to pay off to make it right for the customer who received the wrong part?

What a POS.
Thanks brother. Yeah guy's a dick

-
Back