Ballast resistor getting very hot

-

csx452

Reaction score
As the topic says, my ballast resistor on my 75 Scamp slant/6 is getting really hot. You can't even touch it. Any ides why this would happen?
Thanks,
Frank

i dont wanna jack the thread but if one coil in the back of the ballast resistor is missing or broke could that cause the car not to start?

The reason its so hot at idle is due to the high current draw through the resistor at idle..... if you could feel it at highway speeds it would feel much cooler... Dave

I have a question... As soon as I replaced my ballast resistor the car had problems running whenever I would put in gear... Is there some kind of adjustments that need to be made after installing a new one? I put the old one back in and had it running good for awhile. Now the problem persist.

Duster girl do you know what the ohm spec is on the resistor? You say now you have the problem with either one? If so you might want to check the connections at the coil and distributor. Also check the electronic ignition box if you have electronic. The problem may not be related to your driveability problems at all. Maybe if you can be more specific with the symptoms we can help.

If it's really running hot then you're pulling too much current through it. Check your voltage at the source side of the resistor and make sure it's about 14 volts.

I agree with others however that it may be normal.

As Dmoore said, at idle it will pick up those electrons and warm up and even get hot, (esp. if you idle a lot) but once you`re cruising it will let the electrons flow and cool down some. You should ohm it out though and make sure it`s the right value. One of the guys around here with a later model A-body should be able to give you the proper resistance for that ballast resistor.

75 Duster Girl aka edp_app. If the resistor is the wrong ohm's it will do as you described. We changed one on my fathers 383 D100..ran terrible. It ended up being 1 ohm higher then it was suppose to be. replaced with the correct one. Idled and shifted better.

Good luck.

Aloha!

-
Back