Ballast resistor Q's

-
.... why can I delete the ballast and run battery voltage to the coil of a pertronixs ignitor 2 w/ matching coil, but not a mopar performance ignition with non-factory coil ? ...
The Pertronix Ignitor II is similar to the GM HEI ECU. It has smart electronics to manage the coil current. Their Ignitor III is even better having multi-spark (MSD's namesake) and a rev limiter (I recall).

Earlier after-market ignitions were more like the Mopar ECU, i.e. mostly just a single transistor w/o smarts. All those need a ballast. That includes the original Ignitor, Crane Cams XR700 (XR3000 was a race-only "no ballast" version, both originally by Allison), and probably early Mallory, MP, etc.

I think the confusion is that we don't know what dizzy you have. If the 1975 car in your sig, then it already had electronic dizzy, so what is this "upgrade"?).

The car was a /6 car. The drivetrain was swapped out for something a bit older IDK what year but I do know it was a points 318. I "upgraded" to a generic mopar electronic dizzy from a guy on CL.

Since rewiring to a two post BR and the proper schematic I have not had an issue. Its been around 800 miles so I m crossing my fingers. She seems cured.

-
Back