Ballast resistor question

-

Slappy

Reaction score
Hello all and Merry Christmas. I need some help. Today I went out and changed my 4 wire ignition ballast and discovered that someone has run a wire across the lower terminals. I have had this car for 3 years and never noticed this. Well now the car only starts but does not run. I think I am losing power to the coil in run mode. I looked at a diagram and it looks like one wire comes from the alt. I did do a orange box and distributor conversion. That has been on there for some time. I did not change the ballast to the two wire one provided in the kit. I have had no problems until I removed the wire. Can some one possibly tell me what I should be seeing at the ballast as far as voltage. I also would like to know what the advantages are of running a two wire ballast. A general description of this ignition system would be very helpful. I know its alot but there is someone out there who has been there and done that. Thanks to all whom can help.

Sounds like all you need is a New Ballast.Your old one blew at one time and someone jumped with a wire to make it work.The car will fire and start but will die as soon as you let go of the key.I have had this happen a few times and every time it was a blown ballast .Take off the ballast and it is usally black on the back side.
Jim

I was just changing the old one because it was cracked. It worked fine other than the small wire I did not install back. I was changing to a brand new one.

My 69 superbee was converted before I bought it and it has the jumper across the lower 2 contacts and works fine.
The diagram below is from the mymopar.co m resource page.
Joe

Ignition_System_5pin.jpg

Wow appreciate the effort with the diagram. Thanks. If you were to turn the ballast horizonal the two lower prongs have the wire shoved in the back of the connector. It is def. an added wire. How can I wire this without the rigged jumper wire? What is missing to make this work correctly? Can you email me that diagram? [email protected] Thanks again.

The diagram can be found at :
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/Ignition_System_5pin.jpg

I dont have the wiring diagram in front of me to examine the whole circuit and explain its flow. I recommend wiring it the way it was when it worked and leave it at that. I have never fully understood why the conversion kit uses the duel ballast resistor when the factory didnt. I worked electronics with the Navy for 23 years and I'm pretty damn good at it but.....some times this early car wiring just doesnt make a whole lot of "Common Sense" to me. Any way I recommend using the jumper, I think its the link between the start and run circuits.
Joe

The ballast is designed to reduce the voltage supplied to the ignition coil. The car starts on 12 volts (bypass the ballast resister) but continues to run on about 8 volts (voltage goes thru the ballast). The coil will not operate on 12 volts. It will burn up. Why we did this back then I don't know. They could have designed the ignition systems to function on 12 volts. I guess you make more money selling parts this way.

What year is your car? Here is a wiring diagram link you can try. You should be able to trace the wires to find their source. May help you troubleshoot the problem. Good luck, David

http://www.mymopar.com/72to76_wiring.htm

Thanks for the advise Joe and David. I guess I am trying to have a clear understanding of how the system works. I have three a-bodys. Check out my gallery sometime and thanks again. Tod

Go to the site I referenced for the diagram. they have the whole wiring diagram for your car.

Just a thought. someone may have run an extra wire to replace a wire that is open? just a thought ....Joe

Nice site. I have never heard of this site.

It is a pretty good ref site. I down loaded the 66 a body diagrams and did all the changes I wanted to do in paint. so I have a car specific set of diagrams for my cuda.

hope it helps you!
Joe

P.S. I really like your 72!

Joe do you happen to belong to tidewater Mopars? If so I do as well.

I do belong and I'm a little disgruntled with them (the web site).....Although Butch the Pres is awesome!

I have asked for help on the web site and got absolutely no response at all. It doesnt look like they really use the site much. I'm going to be at the january meet on the 2nd tuesday.
Joe

Joe,

I wish I could be a better member. I have to be a distant member due to the distance I live from there. I am going to be at more functions this year. I will bring my Dart or my Duster. Since I dont know you keep an eye out for me so that I can meet with you. Have a nice christmas. Tod

Joe,

I wish I could be a better member. I have to be a distant member due to the distance I live from there. I am going to be at more functions this year. I will bring my Dart or my Duster. Since I dont know you keep an eye out for me so that I can meet with you. Have a nice christmas. Tod

I most certainly will keep an eye out! I'll be the guy with the lifted jeep! LOL
n1361076797_132883_6168.jpg

Have a safe holiday yourself......
Joe

-
Back