Banana groove small block rocker shafts

-

plumcrazy 101

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a set of decent banana groove shafts for sale?
If not, where's the best place to purchase a set of new shafts besides the race shafts that Mancini sells.

I'm pretty sure I have a set at home.....I'll check in a couple hours for you.

Anyone have a set of decent banana groove shafts for sale?
If not, where's the best place to purchase a set of new shafts besides the race shafts that Mancini sells.
Smith Brother's best price and quality, shipping is also resonable.

Unfortunately, they no longer sell them.
Did you call.them.
Damm that's a shame. They were out and but had a date.
The date came just a month ago they sent me 2 maybe just out again? I.also got adjuster screws, nuts, custom pushrods. And 2 adjustable pushrods to measure with since someone borrowed mine and kept them so I have them around.
Note to self stop loaning stuff out.

Did you call.them.
Damm that's a shame. They were out and but had a date.
The date came just a month ago they sent me 2 maybe just out again? I.also got adjuster screws, nuts, custom pushrods. And 2 adjustable pushrods to measure with since someone borrowed mine and kept them so I have them around.
Note to self stop loaning stuff out.
Yep, I just called them. Apparently, they were a one shot deal.

Yep, I just called them. Apparently, they were a one shot deal.
Well that sucks. I would have bought 2 sets. Just looked was 120 shipped for the pair shipped.
I need a Deloarian i could pick some up for you too.

U want find any better quality shafts than the ones ROCKET sales which are 100 % USA made and machined don't waste your time looking.

Well that sucks. I would have bought 2 sets. Just looked was 120 shipped for the pair shipped.
I need a Deloarian i could pick some up for you too.
Man that is a killer deal. The folks at Smith Bros have always treated me right. I believe Hughes has them too, but then you have to buy them from Hughes.

The banana grooves are NOT needed. In fact, they remove metal from the very area that is under load. Ever wonder why the stamped rockers are purposely made wider on the under side where all the load is????

The banana grooves are NOT needed. In fact, they remove metal from the very area that is under load. Ever wonder why the stamped rockers are purposely made wider on the under side where all the load is????

631E5524-F067-4C57-B720-4260D4469471.jpeg

That'll just be your little secret.

Many things start of as 'good' ideas [ banana grooves in rocker shafts ] at the time, but then disappear when more knowledge & actual experience is gained. Here are a few examples: pistons were once made of ferrous metal; some pistons had 4 rings; modern rings are thinner; original engines did use not bearing inserts for the crank brgs; head gaskets were copper; Etc, etc.

Banana grooves in rocker shafts. What else in the engine has an oscillating motion like a rocker arm & needs oil....
The piston pin!
On an engine that gets to high rpms, the load on the pin at the end of the exh stroke can be several tons as the rod arrests the travel of the piston. Faaaaaar more load on the pin than on the rocker arm....
And the pin only gets splash oiling, not metered oil like the r/shaft. And the pin does not have banana grooves....

Maybe it is the pic, but I see an oil hole in the shaft between the rockers.....but no holes where the rockers run.

Maybe it is the pic, but I see an oil hole in the shaft between the rockers.....but no holes where the rockers run.

Look at the shafts where the hood down bolts go.

That valve train is PISSED OFF and needs attention.

Look at the shafts where the hood down bolts go.

That valve train is PISSED OFF and needs attention.
Agreed. The fretting there tells me that at least one hold down was loose.

-
Back