Band adjustment

-

TwistedPenta

Reaction score
I have a filter and gasket to service my tyranny in my slant six duster. Can someone explain how to adjust the band? It's seems to slip a lil. Pulling out and reverse.

the 1st and reverse band adjust is inside the pan....loose jam nut...tighten adjuster to 72 inch lbs...or snug...back of adjust 2 turns...tighten jam nut without moving adjuster...

the kickdown band is on the outside of the trans...on passenger side of case....use a 3/4 wrench to back off jam nut...and repeat as above...

if you have no drain plug in the pan....leave a couple of bolts in on one side of the pan.....take all the other out...fluid will start to seep out....but ...once start taking the last couple of bolts out on one side..the pan will tilt and the majority of the fluid will dump that direction.....

I agree wit the above post....I'll add when you start seeing fluid draining loosen bolts slowly and in an alternating pattern, you can drain fluid easier and make chances of dumping fluid every where.....

I drilled a 1/8 hole in the right front corner (under the filler tube) to drain it.
Then a sheet metal screw with a dab of silicone on the inside when the pan goes back on.
Not too good if you plan on bottoming your pan on something while driving , but works great otherwise. (Never been an issue)
I wouldn't do it on a 4x4 though.

Some trans shops do the same thing and put a pop rivit in it when they put the pan back on.

Leave 3-4 bolts in on the corners, then loosen several threads and take a screwdriver or similar to pry pan loose if stuck. Pan gaskets can have a personality.

I'm going to try it tomorrow morn. I really appreciate all the advise. It will be put to good use.

-
Back