Banjo player

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I found this while browsing.

Do you think this is for real?

banjo-fu-500x840.jpg

Damn I just do not know what to say! Probably shouldn't say anything so I am just going to observe this post and see what takes place! I have to say the picture does look real to me but I am certainly no expert on photographs! Come to think of it I am no expert at anything I just have opinions! LOL But it could be real!

If I was to step up and say what I am thinking! Low and behold it would be someone's kinfolk and chew my *** out for thinking such things and they would be all pissed off and offended of what I said! LOL So I better refrain from saying what I am thinking,I have enough people pissed off at me as it is!

If I was to step up and say what I am thinking! Low and behold it would be someone's kinfolk and chew my *** out for thinking such things and they would be all pissed off and offended of what I said! LOL So I better refrain from saying what I am thinking,I have enough people pissed off at me as it is!

LOL! That's funny!

I wonder if they got mad at you and said something would they say " That's my Uncle you're talking about!" or would they say "Uncles"? m LOL!

I've seen worse recently . Nightly news did a segement on an infant with 2 faces sharing one head. 4 eyes that blink together !

Where was that guy or should I say those guys, when they were filming Deliverance. I wonder what they do when one wants to go to church and the other wants to go to the bar. LOL

Jack

Tony, I was thinking the same thing. I think I'll retire me banjer. :)

Communion Jack - gooded up and a sip of wine.

Hey Sid........what brand you play?

Mine is a Deering Sierra......the older I get the heavier it gets

I should have took up the harmonica!

Hey Tony. I'm not sure who made my banjo. I had it given to me about 2 1/2 years ago, and I've looked everywhere for a brand name, but no luck. It looks like it had some type of sticker on it at one time, but that's long gone. I'll try to remember to take a photo and post it for you to look at. It's a fairly heavy model, and has great sound, even thought I'm just a beginner and self taught on how to play it, I sure enjoy the hell out of it. :)

I agree, it is a lot of fun. I remember being very nervous my first time to play on stage last year with the band. The number I do is Banjo in the Hollow.

My next big step is to sing on stage. Not easy to do when you can't carry
a tune in a bucket. Practice...Practice...Practice

Take a picture when you get a chance. Also remove the resonator from
the banjo and take a pic inside, unless it is an open back. Either way
take a picture of the inside so we can see what type of tone ring it has.

Usually the heavier the banjo.....the better is is. Bronze tone rings and
cast zinc flanges tend to make them heavier.

Any other pickers out there?

I haven't progressed enough to play on a stage yet, and probably never will, although I can make that puppy rattle out Cripple Creek like a trooper. :)

I need to put some new strings on both the banjo and my guitar this weekend so I'll have a good lookie-see inside and get some pics of her innards.

I haven't progressed enough to play on a stage yet, and probably never will, although I can make that puppy rattle out Cripple Creek like a trooper. :)

I need to put some new strings on both the banjo and my guitar this weekend so I'll have a good lookie-see inside and get some pics of her innards.

Cripple Creek is a great song!

If you were a tad bit closer we'd get together and jam.

I was really lucky with my banjo learnings. My teacher went off to
college after 4 or 5 months of lessions. It just happens that he was
a member of a bluegrass band. He invited me to set in with the band
once a week when they practiced. Well that was about 3 years ago.

When I do my version of Banjo in the Hollow, we have three Derring
banjos going. I lead the song and then Barb (14 years old) comes in
about 15 seconds into the song with her Deering Black Diamond. Then
about 15 seconds later Arnold (band leader) comes in with his Deering
Maple Blossom. We each play in a different position on the neck but
we are playing the same notes. Sounds really great this way.

Here's a link to our web page. At the time the pic was taken I was
only attending practice and was not a "part" of the group. You
might say I was their biggest fan.

http://www.myspace.com/possumglorytrain

Hey Tony, I finally sat still long enough to have a look-see at your web site, and get a couple of pics of me banjer. :) I wish I had the opportunity to take lessons from someone who knew which end of the banjo went where. I bought a small Jim Hatfield starter book with CD, and that's been my teacher. There isn't anyone around my neck of the woods that I am aware of that plays banjo.

I forgot to take a pic when I had the banjo apart, but it has an aluminum ring, and no evidence of a trade name anywhere, except the empty space at the back above the tuning pegs where there was a sticker at one time. I guess it doesn't really matter what brand name it had, I enjoy it anyway. Do you have any good sites for banjo tabs, tips, etc?

I also took a pic of my old guitar. It's a Framus which I bought in 1972 while I was stationed in Germany. It plays great and has an all round good feel to it. Old Framus and I have many a mile and many a beer under our belts - and a few in his belly button along the way also. :)

Later.

Banjo_1 (Small).jpg

Banjo_2 (Small).jpg

Banjo_3 (Small).jpg

Banjo_Guitar_1 (Small).jpg

Looks like a fine banjo Sid........going up Cripple Creek, going on a run
going up Cripple Creek to have some fun........see what you've started!

Here's a site for tabs:

http://www.banjohangout.org/tab/

You will need to down load a viewer (software)....It's free
I use Tabledit......it will show the tabs "and" play the tune if you wish.

Let me know if it works for you

Later,
Tony

Hey Tony, and OldVart, I play banjo too, I have a Stelling Whitestar model. It's nice to hear of other banjo players that have Mopars too. Or should I say Mopar lovers, that play banjo too?

Hey Tony, and OldVart, I play banjo too, I have a Stelling Whitestar model. It's nice to hear of other banjo players that have Mopars too. Or should I say Mopar lovers, that play banjo too?

Hey banjo
Mopars and banjos are a great combination and quite rare I might add.
At this point we are all 1 of 3.........you think

Later,
Tony

Hey Tony, thanks for the link. I'll check it out on the weekend. I already have Tabledit on my PC.
Goin' up Cripple Creek, Goin' in a whirl
Goin' up Cripple Creek to see my girl.

Now, quit singin' it and start playin' it on yer banjer. :)

banjo, when I first saw your moniker, I wasn't sure if it refered to the center section of a differential housing, or if you were a banjo player. Glad to hear it means you do a little pickin'. :) And if I haven't done it before, I'd like to welcome you to FABO.

What style of banjo do you guys play? Scruggs? Clawhammer? I've been learning Scruggs style, but due to the fact I've picked on a guitar for the past 46 years, I can also just grab a giutar pick and plunk out quite a few tunes on the banjo. Mopars and banjos - music for the ears. :)

-
Back