Bar top Epoxy

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
Looking to fill a bar top with some epoxy, about 1/2 inch deep to cover auto related parts etc.. the amount I would need is about 6 gallons of it. There are many different manufactures of the stuff. Has anyone done something like this? What would you recommend? Any pointers for a good job,what to look out for, do's and don'ts. Thanks.

I've done this. I bought it from a company out of Florida. Cheapest I found and good quality. Epoxy : Kleer Koat Table Top Epoxy. I called them to talk and make sure I ordered the correct amount. This site has the instructions on the link above. Read and read and then read again. Make sure you understand them, prior to mixing. You have a limited time to get it laid.

Pointers.....
#1 and most important! Make sure the epoxy is at least 75* before mixing it.. When its cold it will not mix together and you will have air bubbles, which you will not get out!

-Get a heat gun to pop any bubbles that form, but do not direct the heat to one spot to long, you will boil it and wreck it. Just pass over it like your using a rattle can. Its amazing how quickly it pops the bubbles.

-Do not rush the cure times, and follow the instructions to a T.

-I used 5 gallons to do mine, Make sure you dedicate a weekend or time to do this. Plan out the times If you let it go beyond the max cure time you will be waiting until its cured and having to sand it. Took me a full 2 days to do it.

-Protect anything you do not want epoxy on, especially if you plan on letting it flow over the edges.

Im sure there are more things, so if you have any questions send me a message. I'll post pics of my bar when I get home tonight

Tons of other videos...evidently you can use a heat gun to get all the bubbles out and if you you make it too thick it will crack. So you have to do it in layers.

Done one for my Man Cave turn out great. I stained and used varnish on the wood, getting the wood sealed first is important and if you planning to capture items in the pour even more so. I made a "beer lip" using wood molding and then poured my plastic, wanted some type of a damn to hold the beer from going over the sides of the bar.....lol
Crystal Clear Bar Table Top Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear Bar Table Top Epoxy Resin Coating For Wood Tabletop

DSCN1054.JPG

DSCN1055.JPG

Sorry my daughter is currently using the bar for all of her Legos, so I was only able to take a pic of the corner. Kinda hard to tell.

Before
IMG_20160821_152554527.jpg

After
1217181848.jpg

Here is my man cave bar finished, used lumber and the headboard from my old water bed. Hated to throw away the bed, thought it would come in handy someday, glad I held on to it. The headboard gives it an old time tavern appeal.

IMG_3383.JPG

-
Back