Barracuda Door Help

-

340SNOTCH

Reaction score
I noticed my driver's side door is not aligning up as well as it should. The car has all the original panels with no repairs or accidents. Does this look like a hinge problem? Would new hinge pins help? Any help would be appreciated. I hoping it's not something I have to take to an auto body shop to fix...THANKS

SDC11569.jpg

SDC11570.jpg

It probably is the hinges worn. That should be considered a body shop repair. Do it yourself is possible . I've installed the repair bushing kit in my door hinges.
Its not a simple over the fender cover type chore though. It can go wrong quick.
Good luck either way.

The hinges for the doors are adjustable on the door side of the hinge. It will be a two person job as someone needs to hold the door as you loosen the bolts enough where you can allow the bottom of the door in a little bit. Of course this may knock out the alignment of the front of the door with the fender (where you can then shim the fender to get the alignment you need). Then the striker is adjustable in and out to take care of the final piece of the puzzle.

Worn hinges are most likely the problem just like RedFish said.

Have you tried picking up on the end of the door to see how much play there is in the hinges?

If it's not one thing it's another...Can a body shop repair the hinges or do I need to find a new pair for them I wonder? I'll have to call around and try to find a good body shop in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

There is someone here on FABO that was rebuilding them a while back. I don't know if any new ones are to be had now.

Do you have anymore of the paint your car is painted with? If so I would buy a set of rebuildable hinges and get them rebuilt and switch them out.

no paint, but it's Madator Red code. I'm sure body shop could match it good enough. I'll check into rebuilt hinges..thanks guys...

I don't know if they still do it but years ago around here the PPG dealer could inject the paint into an areosol can.

I think it might have been Waggin that was rebuilding the hinges.

I agree that hinge pin and bushing kit will fix the problem. But its definatly not an easy do it yourself task. I did mine but had to remove the door and a lot can go wrong paint chipping wise in a hurry.
Good luck!

Hi guys, great info as I will probably be looking at getting my hinges done as well....as an FYI, the member that does the hinge rebuilds is res1vw21

4spd

Some questions may be better left unanswered, atleast publicly anyway.
I could type out details on how I install the pin/bushing kit without ever picking up a wrench. To do so would take away from those who rebuild hinges. It would take business from bodyshops too.
I can mention a few things... Those repair kits dont include any instuctions.
The doors are heavy and awkward to handle. You will need help.
The outside door handles and mirrors should not be used as handles when lifting the doors.
To chip your paint is bad but to have a friend or neighbor break your mirror is not cool.

-
Back