Barracuda Duash Removal

-

Cudainashed

Reaction score
I am considering removing the dash from my 1968 Barracuda. I can see the two bolts at the lower side that bolt to the side of the passenger compartment. How is the top of the dash attached? Do I need to remove the windshield to access the top attachments points?

Make sure you have your hands on the correct windshield gasket before pulling the old one. I am not sure if they are still tough to come by or not.

Thanks guys, I will check on the availability of new a gasket for the windshield. I thought the screws I was seeing would only be accessibile if the windshield is removed.

There are previous posts from members who defeated those 5 bolts from underneath.
I haven't tried it. I did put the U nuts back upside down when I had it all apert though. So I could remove my dash today without pulling the glass first.

I found this some where, a while ago

The question has been asked; is there any way to remove the dash and leave the front windshield in place? The resounding answer has been NO!
In the imortal words of James T. Kirk "I don't believe in the no win senerio" neither do I.

So here are the steps you must follow to remove the dash and leave the front windshield in place:

1-Strip out everything behind the dash for access to the connectors at the windshield joint.

2-disconnect all fasteners that are attached to the dash including the parking break and the hood release.

3-Drop the stearing colomn enough for the dash sheet metal to clear the studs that the colomn hangs on.

4-At each connection there is a clip and a bolt that must be delt with. First cut the sholder of the clip with a grinder or a dremmel tool so the top is seperated from the bottom. Then with the same tool cut the bottom of the clip and the bolt as close to the sheetmetal as possible. Then push up what remains of the bolt and that connection will have been delt with. Do that with all of the clips and pull the dash straight out.

Klingons, dashes, what's the difference

That windshield gasket is the same as a 2 door Dart so it aint nothing special.

I think I would spin them out with a locking grip style plier before I would cut them ,but then sooner or later you have to figure out a way to put them back in with the glass in the way .

I found this some where, a while ago

The question has been asked; is there any way to remove the dash and leave the front windshield in place? The resounding answer has been NO!
In the imortal words of James T. Kirk "I don't believe in the no win senerio" neither do I.

So here are the steps you must follow to remove the dash and leave the front windshield in place:

1-Strip out everything behind the dash for access to the connectors at the windshield joint.

2-disconnect all fasteners that are attached to the dash including the parking break and the hood release.

3-Drop the stearing colomn enough for the dash sheet metal to clear the studs that the colomn hangs on.

4-At each connection there is a clip and a bolt that must be delt with. First cut the sholder of the clip with a grinder or a dremmel tool so the top is seperated from the bottom. Then with the same tool cut the bottom of the clip and the bolt as close to the sheetmetal as possible. Then push up what remains of the bolt and that connection will have been delt with. Do that with all of the clips and pull the dash straight out.

Klingons, dashes, what's the difference

and how are you gonna get the new ones in w/o removing the windshield?

To reinstall the dash with the windshield in place you need to use small "U" nuts which get clipped into the dash and short screws which get screwed in from the bottom.
Step 3 should be remove column from car, it makes it alot easier with it out of the way.

-
Back