Barracuda molding paint.

-

jamesromeos

Reaction score
Looking for the correct paint for the rear moldings for my 68 barracuda. The black stripe, I cant get any paint to stick to the metal. about to leave it natural.

I'm not aware of a black stripe on the rear molding (Tail panel?) of a 68 barracuda.

Those are painted red in the middle....medium cherry red to simulate the color of the tail light lens. Argent for the upper and lower sections.

Rough up the aluminum with a red scotch-brite pad and prep with some acetone or paint prep.

Use quality two part paint or something from these guys.

http://www.totallyautoinc.com/paint/paint.html. Its called tail panel red. They also have the Argent you will need.

I have had great luck on the parts I painted with their product.

Attachments

• 68_Rear.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 209
Black pin stripe works well and gives you a clean line. Just need to take your time working it around the curves if you use it on the tail lights.

hard to get paint to properly stick to aluminum, as said you can use 1/4 inch black pin stripe tape. I use cerakote to do aluminum, but it is very expensive and coats real thin and needs to be heat baked to dry.
The 67's actually used tape and not paint on the upper and lower trim. The tail light housings were painted black.

Neither paint or tape wants to stay on the chromed tail lamp fixtures. I have better luck with 3m tape. Die cut curves from wide tape stays better than 1/4 wide stretched and turned.

Think I am going to go with the tape. the PO painted the stripe on with some sort of latex paint, looks like crap.

Use a self etching primer on anything such as aluminum, chrome, pot metal, or stainless and then you should be good to go.

-
Back