Barracuda upper control arm removal

-

tekslk

Reaction score
67 Barracuda and I need new upper c/a bushings, can someone give me instructions on just what all I have to do? What about the ball joint?

After you have the tire off and the car supported there is one nut on the ball joint and two esentric bolts on the back of the control arm where it attaches to the frame rail. You will need a ball joint seperator tool. There will also be a brake hose retainer that needs to be unbolted.

Use offset bushings and install them like the diagram shown below.

index.php

Then most people burn the rubber our of the bushings and then crush in the outer sleeve. You will need a tool to install the new bushings. There are pictures on this site of home made tools to do this job.

attachment.php

This is one of the tools members have made to remone and reinstall the bushing and below is the thread to it.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=156654

You make it sound easy I have a friend said he could press the old ones out and reinstall if I gave him the controls <removed>

You make it sound easy I have a friend said he could press the old ones out and reinstall if I gave him the controls <removed>

Make sure he doesn't bend them closer together because it happens quite often on a press. It is a whole lot safer to rig up a tool to do it with.

I had a shop give me a estimate of 515.35 to do this job, that seams a little steap to me, that was with alignment.

They are easy to do..invest or make them[tools to pull old out new in..seperate upper ball..dont use a fork..remove arm from car ..use pull tools to pull out and pullin..i use a impact gun..you can make tools from iron pipe or if you have a machinist friend or find a web site that sells them...main tool is a grade 8 1/2 13 threaded bolt..pm me ill send you pices of what i use..j

x2 on the offset bushing. Just finished this project. Positive caster is a wonderful thing on these cars! Your going the do a tap dance when you feel the difference.

I used a 2x2" exhaust tube, a couple fender washers and a couple length 3x1/2" bolts and a nut. A piece of all-thread would be the easiest. It was a breeze. Roll it in untill it stops, and then give it one more kiss to seat it well.

I installed the arrows paralleled to the structure point lines of the control arm using a straight edge. Front out, back in.

Pickles are hard on boots and personally i dont like beating the heck oughta anything [unless it a crook]...heres what iv made over time...short for upper a arm bushings and long or whatever fits for lower..and yes,it does help to have access to a bridgeport and a hardinge..but with some tlc and some pipe of different diameters you can cut and file flat all the lenghts you need...

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 498
I replace my UC bushings and it was pretty easy removing the control arm but instead of beating myself up using homemade tools I took my control arm to work and pressed it out using the 3 ton press and installed the new one...JOB done....

hopefully the bolt wont be rusted into the bushing. this is the problem I had. makes it damn near impossible to remove the uppers. I agree with the home made tool made from the pipe/endcap deal. No need to remove the ball joint at all with this tool.

Well the shop said 700 and they would do upper and lower so they get the job Im not beating myself up on rusty bolts.

Well the shop said 700 and they would do upper and lower so they get the job Im not beating myself up on rusty bolts.

If you've got 700 to blow then yeah, that sounds like a rip off to me. Hope that includes the LCA bushings, not just ball joints, an alignment to the skosh chart specs, ride height adjustment, and a personal massage. If not $350 tops.

Might as well toss some thicker torsion bars up under there while your at it. 1" $188 at just suspension discount code 'shopalizer'.

attachment.php

Good luck!

I didnt get the massage but there gonna do the rest, yes upper and lower with aleignment, these are mopar people that need to make a living so I guess its my turn to feed there family this week. They eat well no under weight people in this family but you can trust them to do it right.

I didnt get the massage but there gonna do the rest, yes upper and lower with aleignment, these are mopar people that need to make a living so I guess its my turn to feed there family this week. They eat well no under weight people in this family but you can trust them to do it right.

If you are going that far maybe you should go ahead and replace the ball joints too if they are worn.

I have had to get upper and lower ball joints and hoping to have them done this week.

Reading through this it does not look an easy job for me to do, I have no tools or experience in this.

I will have to ask my local mechanic to change them for me.

I hope he can do it as he has never seen a 68 Barracuda before.

I will post the result.

-
Back