Barracuda windshield trim question

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
Why is it that it seems like almost every 69 convertible (and quite a few 67-69 Barracudas) that I look at for sale is missing the lower windshield trim? Did they all fly off at high speed or what? It is like how my dryer always eats one sock.

When I bought my car, there was a shriveled plastic jobbie that looked like hell that I think came from Layson's on there. It was metal from the factory, right? The notch that I had was metal and seemed to attached by clips, and this plastic joker had a long ridge running down the length of the backside. If I am not mistaken, weren't there a couple of different ways that it was attached?

Layson's does do repops of these, but aren't they junk as well? Like I said, I think that it what I have. I would post a pic of it, but I am not where the car is right now. :D

Basically, it is a long piece of plastic with a ridge on the back that holds it in place. It looks like the plastic was molded over the chrome when it was made. It is warped from heat and/or the sun so that it does not quite follow the contour of the windshield anymore.

Like olka mentioned, they are plastic from the factory, mine is getting redone with lower w/s trim(steel) from a non vert cuda, you can make them work with some tweaking

That was kind of what I was thinking. I have a piece of lower windshield molding from a notch and was thinking I can use some sections of the "spine" of the plastic crap in order to make it work. My thought was to shape the plastic pieces a little and use small sections of them like large clips that are backing for the metal piece. I am not sure if that is making a whole lot of sense, and I am open to other ideas..

""Did they all fly off at high speed or what?"" That's funny rite thar
There has been a lot of speculation about why the engineers didn't put a stainless reveal moulding there. Did it whistle or chip paint with movement of the windshield frame ?
Who knows.
There would still need to be a locking insert in the gasket underneath a stainless moulding.

The locking insert in the gasket is still there, so I think that I might be able to make it work with a little tweaking the useable part of the old plastic piece and the metal lower windshield trim. I wish I had some pics so you guys could see what I was seeing. Perhaps I post some pics of my idea later on. It just does not look finished without some trim there, even though pretty much only Mopar guys would notice I think...but I notice it is missing. You know how that goes.

The correct locking insert looks a lot like the stainless when new.
To rig a piece of stainless on top of it could work but could become a flume at high speed like you suggested in your first post.
I suppose someone has put the stainless from another car on the vert but..
They likely installed the proper clips for it while the windshield was out.

-
Back