Barricuda Boys

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Good day guys, I have a question concerning (I believe) 68 -69 Barricuda steering column's. Years ago I change over to a floor shift on the 68 Signet which leaves a god ugly steering column. Question: In the spring I hope to find a column with shaft that only has the turn signal unit, no ignition or 4 way emergency. My ignition and 4 way is on the dash face. Is this possible and are these above years correct? Also...anyone know if these are considerd a hard item to get without buying a complete car?
Thanks for any information. Here's a pic...I'm sure you know what I mean.
Cheers,

pic5.JPG

i think finding a steering column for a barracuda is going to be hard to find if you dont have a complete car you can try to find one on ebay or someone on here lucky i have 2 spare 4 speed colums and one in my parts car :)

Why don't you just pull your column out, grind off the offending knob ( that sounds bad) where the old shifter used to reside, and then either weld or JB weld in a small piece of metal to cover the hole. A light application of kitty hair and finish it with a glazing putty, some primer, paint it, and you're done. :)

OldVart said:
Why don't you just pull your column out, grind off the offending knob ( that sounds bad) where the old shifter used to reside, and then either weld or JB weld in a small piece of metal to cover the hole. A light application of kitty hair and finish it with a glazing putty, some primer, paint it, and you're done. :)

It's a good plan Sid if it has to come down to that. However it's just not the shifter hole and selector hole. I would also like to get rid of the lower shaft shifter linkage (engine compartment). My shaft bearings are also a tad worn making for a sloppy wheel. Thanks, I will have to take your idea into consideration if nothing is availible.

Jim my 68 Cuda had a roached out column and I found one from an early 70's Dart fit right in it with no modifications. Don't know the exact year cause I didn't pull it out. I think he said it was a 72 though but not positive. Apparently alot of these were the same column.

My '67 has a later model auto column in it with the key on the column...if it fit, ANY 67-74 A-body column will fit. There's plenty of them out there...

OOPS....I just saw you don't want the key in the column...that may be a little harder to find. Otherwise, a 4-spd column or auto stick column from ANY 67-74 will work fine...just ensure you get a power steering one if you have power or manual one if you have manual steering. Otherwise you have to find an adapter...

I took mine off ( 68 ) and used a grinder to remove the indicator and shifter lever, then I used JB Weld to fill in the spots, sanded it down and it looks like it came that way. I have pictures if you need to see it. I also tried one off of a 67 and it wouldn't fit.
X

What about a street rod column from some place like Flaming River?

I think they even make some in black now too......plus you could always paint it to match

Wow guys, thanks for "all" your help, good idea's and information...way more then I expected. :headbang: :headbang:

-
Back