Barris Barracuda question...may have decklid?

-

Donny D Ville

Reaction score
I sold my Challenger and jumped into a 68 Barracuda Fastback :smile:
The guy I purchased the car from tells me that it had been rear ended decades ago and the decklid was damaged so his dad went to a junkyard in Los Angeles to find a new one. He then described the donor car. What he described was a Barris kit. It had the hood scoops, scoops behind the quarter windows, and this deck lid on it. He didnt mention anything else like wheels or side pipes but im sure they would have been the first to go. He installed the decklid on to the Barracuda, had it paint matched, then let the car sit until his son sold it to me.

Could this be a real story? Did anyone make repros? if its fake what is it worth? If its real what is it worth?

I read up that apparently there were 4 kits made and two are known to still be around, I could be wrong.

Any info, opinions, knowledge would be awesome

Are you maybe talking about the "Savage GT" Barracuda? If you have a GT trunk lid it might be worth a pretty penny, those cars are very rare! I ne3ver heard about a "Barris" edition or option before, pics of your trunk lid would be nice

Attachments

• savage.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,586
  • savagegt.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 1,625
  • savage3.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,492
  • savage2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,620
I sold my Challenger and jumped into a 68 Barracuda Fastback :smile:
The guy I purchased the car from tells me that it had been rear ended decades ago and the decklid was damaged so his dad went to a junkyard in Los Angeles to find a new one. He then described the donor car. What he described was a Barris kit. It had the hood scoops, scoops behind the quarter windows, and this deck lid on it. He didnt mention anything else like wheels or side pipes but im sure they would have been the first to go. He installed the decklid on to the Barracuda, had it paint matched, then let the car sit until his son sold it to me.

Could this be a real story? Did anyone make repros? if its fake what is it worth? If its real what is it worth?

I read up that apparently there were 4 kits made and two are known to still be around, I could be wrong.

Any info, opinions, knowledge would be awesome

I believe there are only two known Barris cars. Both red. I think at least one is the show car/prototype. Maybe both.

One in original paint and came out at Spring Fling like in 1998 or so. First time anyone really had seen one. I remember talking to the older lady that owned it on the telephone before she brought it to the show for the first time. She was trying to sell it. IIRC, like around $10K. Was an original 340 auto "S" fastback. Was in MCG magazine. It sold and found it's way to Canada I believe. Steve Juliano bought it.

There's another one that is restored and IIRC, is in the south east US, Georgia?? I think it's been to Carlisle.

What was the original color of your decklid?

have any indication of it's original color?

The parts were supposed to be offered as a kit. It is possible the car that was in the yard had that kit. Or parts of the kit. Don't know if you had to buy everything including the rims and sidepipes or they sold pieces.

Can't see you decklid very good in your avatar picture. But it does look like a Barris one. IMHO, it would make since it was found in So Cal. I bet most of the kits were sold there.

I don't think there is a record of how many kits were sold. I don't think any parts even have been documented beyond the two I mentioned.

So that is a RARE decklid.

But IMHO it worth is to someone that just wants to run it on their Barracuda OR as garage art. About 50/50 between those two, IMHO.

Please bring the car to Spring Fling is a few weeks. This would be a great conversation pieces and may lead to more info!!

Are you maybe talking about the "Savage GT" Barracuda? If you have a GT trunk lid it might be worth a pretty penny, those cars are very rare! I ne3ver heard about a "Barris" edition or option before, pics of your trunk lid would be nice

This is the Barris car. The pictures of the orange/red car underneath that are of a Savage GT. Two different things.

Savage GT was a whole complete car with drivetrain mods, sold complete. Barris was just an aftermarket appearance kit to add onto you Barracuda.

attachment.php

Here is the Corky Barracuda movie car, wasn't this built by Barris? It is still around and is unrestored, obviously a custom version and a one-off car.

George Barris is still alive, ever try contacting him and asking him about it? He is a very nice guy, met him one time here in MN :glasses7:

Attachments

• CORKY5.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,398
  • corky2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,206
  • corky3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,559
  • corky4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,377
This is the Barris car. The pictures of the orange/red car underneath that are of a Savage GT. Two different things.

Savage GT was a whole complete car with drivetrain mods, sold complete. Barris was just an aftermarket appearance kit to add onto you Barracuda.

attachment.php

That is some very cool information Autox, I never knew that!!

This car looks so cool with that stuff added on too :D

Cool, anybody notice that Barris used 64-65 Barracuda emblems on the front fenders? Very cool stuff, I had no idea that car existed!

Very cool

Now that car is a 67 383 "S"

I wonder if that "only 4 kits made" is true? But this 67 would make a 3rd car known. But seems currently unaccounted for. Wonder if it was white orginally?

Donny D Ville, what is the original color on your decklid?

Are the trim holes on a 67 Barracuda decklid different than a 68? The 68 will have factory holes for Barracuda and fish emblem.

Donny D Ville, wonder if you can look inside your decklid to see if any hole were drilled non factory?

Donny D Ville, please ask the guy you bought it from if he remembers anything about the car in the junkyard? colors, motor, rims, etc etc.

I have a magazine on the Savage GT and a couple more pictures.

Attachments

• Savage.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,182
  • savagegthood.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,196
  • savagegtgrille.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,338
That kit was a dealer-sold item. Not popular but not unheard of. MoparAction featured one a car with one of those kits not too long ago. IIRC, the kit was designed by Barris.

Jim 68cuda (Jim Colville) wrote this about two Barris Barracuda's in Virgina. The one restored is the one from Carlisle I showed above. And Jim says there's another being restored. So in this thread alone there are pictures or mention of 3 68's and 1 67.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969436893&postcount=1091

So it seems that only 4 kits made might not be accurate? Maybe that's not counting the white? 67 and red 68??

Jim 68cuda wrote:

68 Barris Barracuda. I believe that this is one of only two known to still exist with the rare dealer installed George Barris custom package which included fiberglass hood inserts, C-pillar scoops, and trunk lid with molded in spoiler. The Radir wheels and dummy side pipes were also part of the dealer installed package. This one was sold new at Woodbridge Chrysler Plymouth in Woodbridge, Virginia. It was one of two sold by that particular dealer that had the Barris Barracuda package installed. This one is owned and has been restored by the son-in-law of the original owner.
This one is a 340 4-speed Formula S.

here are some pics...i really appreciate the info
You gotta know I was a bit excited when looking into this
The primer car is obviously mine and the red one is the only one i could find

Attachments

• 849.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,197
  • 850.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,231
  • 851.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,231
  • 852.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,254
  • 853.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,211
So i popped the trunk open and looks like though it was paint matched to my surf turquoise, it has what looks like B5 blue under it. There doesnt look to be any unusual holes and it looks as though the decklid skin was removed and a top layer was glassed to the original structure.
Since I dont know anything about these, I have no idea how it was made, etc.
I did send an email after calling Barris Studios and Im waiting for a reply.

here are some pics...i really appreciate the info
You gotta know I was a bit excited when looking into this
The primer car is obviously mine and the red one is the only one i could find

Wow, very kewl....that is a very rare piece you have there :glasses7:

Now, start hunting for the other parts till you have the full kit :D

-
Back