Basic door lock keying 101

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
I'm not getting into codes or cut depths here. It is a simple eyeball measure and trial and error that almost anyone can do. It does require some spare parts and is why you shouild hang on to your old lock cylinders or pocket a few as you wander through the junk yard.

First you must remove the cover with a hobby knife or similar thin steel object.
l_a95338285caf4cfdaede5321904455f4.jpg

What lies underneath are the lock pins, follower pins and springs.

l_42fad36ef2cc4fa1a9e587edacaee2d5.jpg

The basics of the lock cylinder is to line up the divide between the lock pins and follower pins in the same plane as the lock cylinder to housing surface. It lies along the line shown with the key and pins below.

l_0ecf74e3b2e5470192b7acf9c4af2fe1.jpg

You will notice the depth of key cut requires a corresponding length of follower pin. You can individually try pins in each location but remember! Without a lock pin and spring on top of the follower pin you will not know for sure if you have the right combination. First try without a lock pin and spring to see if the cylinder will turn. If it does not turn the pin is too long, if it does the pin may be correct or too short. Now drop in the lock pin and spring and hold them down with a finger while trying to turn the key again. If it turns you have the right parts (probably) if it does not turn your follower pin is too short. I said probably on parts because you will notice that short followers use long lock pins and vice-versa. Repeat this proceedure for each pin location and set them aside marked as to which hole they work in. After all pin and follower locations have been solved put them all in and cover the springs with a finger and try the key again before snapping the cover back on. If you just don't have a pin that fits a location or two it is ok to leave that hole empty. The lock will still work but just be a little easier to pick.

about how many cylinders does that pile-o-pins represent? Is there a difference between the different manufacturers, (gm, ford mopar)? I probably have five or six old gm's laying around and need to rekey some mopar doors.

Dang if youre not too worried you could use this info and key a few pins the same on all your cars and use one key. hell i could go from 20 to 2 .just an ignition and a trunk key. does this work on ignition as well?

It will depend on the milling of the blank. Basically, if the trunk key goes in the Ign, yea, it's possible. Great thread and the info is sound. (I'm a locksmith.)

about how many cylinders does that pile-o-pins represent? Is there a difference between the different manufacturers, (gm, ford mopar)? I probably have five or six old gm's laying around and need to rekey some mopar doors.

Probably only about 5 locks worth of pins and springs in the pile. Each lock has five holes, each hole has a lock pipn, follower pin and spring. I don't know what GM lock parts are like as I am not a locksmith. I just got into them as a kid watching Robert Wagner on TV and learned a few tricks. ;)

Dang if youre not too worried you could use this info and key a few pins the same on all your cars and use one key. hell i could go from 20 to 2 .just an ignition and a trunk key. does this work on ignition as well?

It does work on ignition although the cylinder is a bit different in construction and they also differ from column vs dash mount units as to how the cylinders remove from the housings.

Iv'e noticed on the early a bodies that the door cylinders cover appears to be staked into place. I'm guessing that I'd have to cut or chisel back to get the cover off and try to restake the cover. I have about a dozen door cylinders and some without keys I might just give it a try now. I have a few set of door locks from A100's and they look like a-body ones.

Iv'e noticed on the early a bodies that the door cylinders cover appears to be staked into place. I'm guessing that I'd have to cut or chisel back to get the cover off and try to restake the cover. I have about a dozen door cylinders and some without keys I might just give it a try now. I have a few set of door locks from A100's and they look like a-body ones.

They are probably the same across the board for those year models as they are in the newer style years. I would certianly try them anyway.

I had to have a locksmith do an early A one time and he said those staked covers were a real issue - but can be done. A100s (at least up through the 69 that I had) appeared to have used the same ones as the early A Body (at least the exterior was the same).

If you can just find a set you know are matched a good locksmith can do what is called impressioning where he starts of with a blank and puts pressure on the lock and is able to cut the blank by reading the marks or... you may be lucky enough to have a cyl with the code stamped on it.

-
Back