Batteries

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
I think the battery in my Van is starting to bite the big one. Barely cranked it over this morning(not that cold out) and after a long drive it still did it. I went for another long drive and then it came back,but seeing as how this is my main vehicle I want to be readty when it dies.

So Im going to ask what batteries you use,have used and had good or bad luck.
Im partial to Napa batteries myself. I have tried the el crapo Canadian Tire and hated it.

I've had'em all almost, but really, the cheaper ones seemed to last longer... or maybe the brand name ones were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Had good luck with the ones from Advanced Auto. Top and second tier, never the cheap level.

i use the green ones, like on the car kyle busch drives, cant remember the name right now, but i had no problem with them, in my big 460 or my 4 cylinder

i use the green ones, like on the car kyle busch drives, cant remember the name right now, but i had no problem with them, in my big 460 or my 4 cylinder

Interstate?

there we go, i was just to lazy to go check in the garage when i was writing my post

Walmart, if there are any in Canada.

Where is Canadian Tire? Never saw one near Albany,NY. ;)

I think the battery in my Van is starting to bite the big one. Barely cranked it over this morning(not that cold out) and after a long drive it still did it. I went for another long drive and then it came back,but seeing as how this is my main vehicle I want to be readty when it dies.

So Im going to ask what batteries you use,have used and had good or bad luck.
Im partial to Napa batteries myself. I have tried the el crapo Canadian Tire and hated it.

I steer clear of NAPA batteries after having 3 brand new ones crap out on me. The longest lasting one didn't even make it a year and a half. I bit the bullit and rather than exchange it for another one of their junk batteries a bought an AC Delco and it's been good for 5 years so far. I parked my truck for 3 months last winter and figured I would need to charge it up in the spring but it still had a killer charge in it and my truck started up with ease. I've also had good luck with Interstate too. My last one went almost 9 years.

I steer clear of NAPA batteries after having 3 brand new ones crap out on me. The longest lasting one didn't even make it a year and a half. I bit the bullit and rather than exchange it for another one of their junk batteries a bought an AC Delco and it's been good for 5 years so far. I parked my truck for 3 months last winter and figured I would need to charge it up in the spring but it still had a killer charge in it and my truck started up with ease. I've also had good luck with Interstate too. My last one went almost 9 years.

Ac delco is whats in the van right now. I dont know how old it is as it came with the van.

optima, pricey but worth it, at least for me. life span of 6-7 years or so. plus, if everything is clean when it goes together it will be the last time you will be out there adding fluid to the battery or dealing with bad connections due to corrosion....

I have herd that advance auto batteries are Interstate with a different label.
Dont know if thats true or not. Anyway.. I have a cheap advance auto silver line label ( i think ) that has been a good one. The guy there said , "not the corrcet size or amps for that car. No warrenty, 27.00." I said, " I guess I install it too ?" Ofcourse

I have herd that advance auto batteries are Interstate with a different label.
Dont know if thats true or not. Anyway.. I have a cheap advance auto silver line label ( i think ) that has been a good one. The guy there said , "not the corrcet size or amps for that car. No warrenty, 27.00." I said, " I guess I install it too ?" Ofcourse

I always buy a bigger cold crank amps rated battery than what is needed. Sounds like the guy who sold you the batt was a dickwad. ANY counter guy who knows ANYTHING will reccomend a bigger batt.

Interstate!

Johnson Controls makes the Interstate batteries as well as the MoPar and
Motorcraft batteries.They are not identical as the manufacturers have them
built to there specs.They are more money then the parts store batteries but
have great warranties(3 yr free replacement)and i havent had one drop dead
on me yet without it letting me know in advance.Thats worth it to me alone.

I just had kmart cheapo battery die in my /6 Duster. It was in the car when I got it. I took it out and it was a one year $29.95 battery that had May 01 as purchase date. Pretty good cheap battery. I replaced with bigger/better Walmart battery. I always run a maintance charger all winter.

Seems to me that the OEM batteries last the longest. My wife had an AC Delco in her Malibu that was 7 years old. I replaced because it seemed to OLD! Didn't want her to have any issues.

I like the Eliminator from Canadian Tire.

Although I'm having an issue with returning one of them... see last year my voltage regulator crapped out and I boiled the acid out of the two end cells but I continued using the battery after replacing the regulator.

This year I decided to bring the battery back for replacement (The Eliminators are waranteed for 7 years) just because I wanted a fresh one WITH full cells... Well Canadian tire would not replace it! They tested it and it holds a charge and passes load tests! They told me to bring it back when it will no linger hold a charge or crank as well as it should.

Anyway I have still not had any issues at all with the battery except having very low acid levels in the end cells... no problem holding a charge or cranking.

...What was the question? lol

I like the Eliminator from Canadian Tire.

Although I'm having an issue with returning one of them... see last year my voltage regulator crapped out and I boiled the acid out of the two end cells but I continued using the battery after replacing the regulator.

This year I decided to bring the battery back for replacement (The Eliminators are waranteed for 7 years) just because I wanted a fresh one WITH full cells... Well Canadian tire would not replace it! They tested it and it holds a charge and passes load tests! They told me to bring it back when it will no linger hold a charge or crank as well as it should.

Anyway I have still not had any issues at all with the battery except having very low acid levels in the end cells... no problem holding a charge or cranking.

...What was the question? lol

I had THE EXACT SAME issue with getting a replacement from Canadian Tire. It wouldnt turn the car over but because thier test said it was good they wouldnt replace it. I challenged the counter idiot to try it out in his car,see if it worked. Didnt care. I took it to the Canadian Tire in the next town and they tested it. It failed thier test and they replaced it.. A lot of the stuff they sell is crap and they know it. I personally only ever buy something that is on sale . I've had good luck with thier hand tools,but Proto makes those.

I think I will kill it then leave it on the concrete floor all winter then bring it back to them... Should be dead enogh for em then eh!? LOL

Yeah a lot of their stuf is crap but I do like their return/replacement on their Mastercraft tools... very hastle free. if it says mastercraft or Maxim, free no question replacement.

I say go to a junkyard and get a 08-09 Ram battery. I have had really good luck with OEM batteries from newer low mileage trucks.

-
Back