Battery and Rear Bulkhead question

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I was talking to someone last week and was telling him that I needed to fab a bulkhead because I am moving my battery to the trunk. He claims that if you are running an Optima battery you dont need to install a bulkhead. I tried to find this stated in the NHRA rulebook but didnt find anything stating this. Is this true or is he incorrect? Also while I am asking about the bulkhead what methods have you used in order to fab the one for your cars?
Thanks
Rod

you can use a NHRA approved battery box and not need a bulkhead.

you will need a master cut off switch if they battery is in the trunk

I use the box and then ended up getting a fuel cell and having to build the firewall anyways. #-o now I don't need the box and probably would think about selling it. another expense I could have avoided by just building a wall in the first place.

correct...if you are heading that way....put the bulkhead in ....

I understand the box, but if using the optima style battery can I secure it in a battery tray to the frame rail and not put it in an approved box and not have to install a bulkhead?
Thanks
Rod

I understand the box, but if using the optima style battery can I secure it in a battery tray to the frame rail and not put it in an approved box and not have to install a bulkhead?
Thanks
Rod

sort of, this will require two 3/8" bolts or allthread on each with a 1/8" strap across the top of the battery and bolted to the floor with large washers or to the frame. no bulkhead needed. a fuel cell will need a bulkhead but still no battery box.

8:1 BATTERIES
All batteries must be securely mounted; must be of sufficient capacity to start vehicle at any time. Batteries may not be relocated into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of .024- inch steel or .032-inch aluminum (including package tray) required when battery is relocated in trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch steel, .032-inch aluminum, or NHRA-accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery and must be vented outside of body. Relocated battery(s) must be fastened to frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8-inch-diameter bolts. OEM located batteries without complete OEM hold-down hardware must be secured to OEM battery box/tray using the same 3/8-inch- diameter bolt hold-down method described in previous sentence. (“J” hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut.) Metal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Strapping tape prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements), is permitted. Maximums may vary according to Class Requirements

I don't see anything in the rules that would exempt any relocated battery from either a box or a bulkhead.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I couldn't find anything either to back up his statement. I did find that if I used an NHRA approved battery box I wouldn't need a bulkhead but other than that I think a bulkhead is a must if battery is moved to trunk.
Now I feel confident telling him he was incorrect!
Thanks, Rod

NHRA approved battery box

and be careful of this. i couldnot find a "list" of NHRA boxes. this problem popped up bought a used summit box, made by somebody, and there was a question about if yes, if no. summit not much help

-
Back