Battery Cable Too Short

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know this is a bad idea but I want some input. My positive battery cable is too short but it is brand new with 2 leads on it. I can run 1 lead directly to the starter relay and the other can power my electric cooling fan. My question is am I an idiot if I run it underneath the steering shaft and between the #1 & #3 header pipes? I will clamp it down to ensure it won't touch. It has about three or four inches of clearance all around.

Attachments

• Battery cable.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 304
I don't understand, we need better photos

Are you saying IF you don't run the one cable down to the starter THAT cable can be used for the fans? (Seems like overkill, but mmmmKay)

And the other goes to the starter relay?

If that is so, the obvious solution would be one of two

1 Run one to the starter relay, the other to the fans or better yet, to a "continuous duty" solenoid keyed by the igntion switch and use that to carry all the switched loads, fans, pump(s), ignition, regulator/ alternator field.

Then buy a "starter cable" (ring to ring) the appropriate length to go from the starter relay to the starter

2 Junk the cable you have and start over with one that WILL work.

Got a better pic. The main 4 gauge cable is still going to the starter as normal. I want to run it back to the firewall and then down to the starter but it's too short.The small red lead is connected to the starter relay. The black lead I want to power an electric cooling fan. I just want to run the heavy main cable through the header pipes to the starter. Hard to find a cable the right length with 2 extra leads on it. In the first pic you can see how I want to run the heavy main cable.

Attachments

• Battery Cable 2.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 338
OK, personally I'd forget the two extra leads. Just use your starter relay for a junction and bring your "3rd" lead power off there. So go buy one the right length.

If you can solder, get a ring end, saw off the battery clamp, and turn the one you have into a starter -to-relay cable, then buy a new short cable to run from the battery to the relay stud. If not, buy a ring - to - ring starter cable also.

It is FAR to easy to cause a short fooling with this, that's an incredibly high power cable and has enough there to burn a hole in a header or start a fire and burn the whole car down.

I just went out and got the correct length 48" cable with both extra leads from Pep Boys for 8 bucks. I'd rather spend 8 bucks as opposed to getting another ride. Thanks for your input.

-
Back