Battery in Trunk

-

flashsuperstar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1972 Plymouth Scamp, 408 ci, 904 transmission, 8 3/4 Sure Grip rear end, 2 wire square back alt.
I am relocating battery to the trunk. I am using a Ford type solenoid so as to not have constant power running through the positive cable throughout the vehicle at all times. I am not using a disconnect switch as this is for occasional driving. My question is that I have seen the use of a constant duty solenoid on several of the other posts and am wondering if I need this in addition to my solenoid, should use this in place of my solenoid…
Any input will be appreciated.

Without hijacking the thread, other than weight distribution for pure racing, is there a good reason to put the battery in the trunk?

Without hijacking the thread, other than weight distribution for pure racing, is there a good reason to put the battery in the trunk?
Prettier engine bay ;) I think it helps. Takes weight off front end. Helps with easier steering if you have manual steering

Another reason would be less heat exposure from engine bay heat which can extend battery life. Not that many (if any) people do it for that reason…just reaching a bit:rolleyes:

I don't know at what point the weight distribution is worth the hassle but I'm gonna guess it's probably faster than most dual purpose cars run! I'm just saying.

I used the remote starter relay kit from Painless and mounted it in my trunk. I didn't need any other relays or solenoids. It just needs a +12v signal to it to activate when you turn the key.

Simple.

Wire in the ford solenoid using the OEM starter trigger wire connection. The one that runs from starter relay to starter. Good sized ground (same size as starter cable) to chassis at rear if frame connected and another ground cable off engine/trans to frame rail.

Run a heavy gauge cable forward from Batt+ to alternator. A 10 gauge to the rear of the car is not heavy gauge. It needs to be a 6ga minimum

Should be 90% done with those items.

Simple.

Wire in the ford solenoid using the OEM starter trigger wire connection. The one that runs from starter relay to starter. Good sized ground (same size as starter cable) to chassis at rear if frame connected and another ground cable off engine/trans to frame rail.

Run a heavy gauge cable forward from Batt+ to alternator. A 10 gauge to the rear of the car is not heavy gauge. It needs to be a 6ga minimum

Should be 90% done with those items.
Thank you

-
Back