Battery kill switch in truck

-

MHEAD

Reaction score
I'm planning on relocating the battery to the bed of my Dakota.Anyone know if I need a kill switch with it being a truck compared to a closed trunk?I just did a quick search but everything refers to a trunk.

I am pretty sure, for safety reasons, anytime a battery is relocated, you will need a battery shut off switch wired in the positive side. Depending on where you race and what sanction, and who tech’s your truck in.

We relocated the battery in our 2000 Dakota to the bed when we ran the crate motor class in IHRA. We mounted a push/pull kill switch behind the driver side tail light with the handle above the tail light on the outside.

We relocated the battery in our 2000 Dakota to the bed when we ran the crate motor class in IHRA. We mounted a push/pull kill switch behind the driver side tail light with the handle above the tail light on the outside.
I race mostly nhra.I was thinking I could get away without one but looks like I'll install one.
Thanks guys.

I couldn't find a pic of it on my truck. Which I coppyed the ideal from my friends 87 dakota. So here is a picture of how I installed the battery shut off on my 91 dakota. You can still use the tail gate this way..if I ever get around to installing a rear roll pan. I will put the shut off on it.

Screenshot_20220204-120906_Photos.jpg

Not a racer, so I put the battery shut off in my floor air vent in my 66 Plymouth Valiant.
I can reach down and shut it off, it saved me 8 to 9 years ago when lightning struck her because I shut it off when it's parked . I moved it to the trunk so I could put my fresh air intake to my breather out of a Dakota

FB_IMG_1596113688443.jpg

I couldn't find a pic of it on my truck. Which I coppyed the ideal from my friends 87 dakota. So here is a picture of how I installed the battery shut off on my 91 dakota. You can still use the tail gate this way..if I ever get around to installing a rear roll pan. I will put the shut off on it.

View attachment 1715864195
Mine came with a roll pan already on it.It's very light plastic and I'm hesitant installing the switch there.I may fab a steel bracket on the inside of the pan to help support it.

Mine came with a roll pan already on it.It's very light plastic and I'm hesitant installing the switch there.I may fab a steel bracket on the inside of the pan to help support it.
Thanks for the tip.

-
Back