Battery kill switch.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
How do you wire these things so they actually kill the motor? I shut mine off while the car was running and it didnt do anything.

I have a 1-wire alternator with the charge wire/cable going to the same side of the kill switch as the battery. The cable on the other side of the kill switch goes back up front, but to the starter, then relay.

The wire/cable between the alternator and battery will stay hot with the switch off. But that set-up does kill the starter/relay cable.

You probably still have voltage going from the alternator to the starter and/or relay and the output keeps the engine running without the battery.

You could add a normally open relay in the field line instead of getting a new switch. It would activate (close) when the switch is on and open when you turn the switch off. I think that would be the easiest/cheapest fix since it won't have to be high amp relay.

I have a one-wire also. A friend with a starter/alternator shop added a voltage regulator to a factory Chrysler alternator. One wire runs to the trunk and hooks directly to the positive side of the battery. Positive runs to the kill switch then back to the front. They way Chrysler alternators are wired from the factory allows the engine to stay running even when the kill switch is switched.

As mowpower said, run the red wire from the alternator to the battery side of the switch. When you shut it off now the alternator is feeding power to the ignition and keeping it running, just the battery is isolated.

I used a relay in the battery positive side of my alternator, but I'm running a Nippondenso mini alternator that I've essentially wired to be a one wire alternator. Still the relay in the positive field wire should work for you.

maybe I will sound compltely dumb...but I guess there's a ground on the coil, so if you put a switch on that you cut the ignition = engine should stall?

I Ran A 10 Gauge Wire From Swithced On To Under Dash That Powers My Msd Box. Shut The Battery Switch Off And It Will Kill The Power To The Msd Box.

-
Back