Battery making a bubbling noise

-

kris66cuda

Reaction score
Hey so i just replaced my battery lasy summer it was originally connected to my slant 6 but then i ugraded and swapped a 360 into my 66 cuda after i drive it for a bit and park and turn off the car it makes a little bit of a bubbling sound. should i be concerned

I would think!!! Have you checked the charging voltage at the battery

no i dont have anything that would be able to check it. i am however having some cgarging issues with the swap right now as well. im thinking i might jut take it to a shop and have them do a full look over of the charging system

I just saw your other thread. Please stick to that thread, for simplicity, so we can follow what you are doing

And buy yourself a meter. Radio Shack, Sears, any parts store has an adequate meter for 20-25 bucks.

Battery boiling = over charge condition for whatever reason.

Over charging is most often a result of voltage drop problems in ignition & charge circuit, or occasionally an old battery or one that has been severally discharged for a period of time won’t take a full charge.

Get a voltage meter; take a reading at battery when engine is running should be 14.4 to 13.8 volts depending on under hood temperatures. If over 14.4 V, start cleaning all connections at battery, engine ground strap, bulkhead connector, starter switch etc. Remember a little bit of corrosion on several connections adds to make one big resistance in a circuit that has to be removed.

Big picture is if voltage regulator is detecting lower than actual harness voltage from defective ignition circuit, it will control alternator to increase its output an equal amount to bring phantom miss read voltage up. In other words if voltage regulator is reading 13 volts, 0.8 v low, the alternator will put out an additional 0.8 volts on top of existing harness voltage to battery which could be as high as 15.2 v in this example. Don’t forget to make sure you have zero voltage between negative battery post, and bases of voltage regulator, spark controller if equipped, and alternator case, as voltage drop can occur on the ground side of these circuits.

-
Back