Battery overcharging

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Is almost 16 or so volts for a battery overcharging? Thats typically what mine is. I always thought 15 was normal. After a period of time a tiny bit of acid seeps out the top. I know that can't be normal. The battery and voltage regulator are over two years old. Maybe a faulty battery? It's an exide if that matters.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

It sounds like a regulator problem. Try a different regulator and then make sure the battery isn't low on water. Most low or maintenance free batteries have caps that can be removed.. I had a electronic regulator overcharge and boil my battery dry and blow most of the light bulbs in the car. The maximum alternator
output should be no more than 14.6v. toolman

It sounds like a regulator problem. Try a different regulator and then make sure the battery isn't low on water. Most low or maintenance free batteries have caps that can be removed.. I had a electronic regulator overcharge and boil my battery dry and blow most of the light bulbs in the car. The maximum alternator
output should be no more than 14.6v. toolman

I do have the two water caps on top of the battery. Last time I checked they were about half empty. I didn't want to add more water becuase I was afraid it would make things worse. Honestly, I have no idea what the water is for, what does it solve?

Actually the water is a electrolite or acid /water solution. When the alternator is overcharging it literally boils the water out of the solution. Not a safe thing under your hood. Also if a battery is bubbling don't get near it with open flame or sparks like jumper cables or disconnecting the cables. It could cause the battery to explode all over you and your car. toolman

I just had the same thing happen. It was way overcharging after the car sit for a period of time. I had a blue mopar performance pre 69 single field regulator and alternator. I installed a new dual field alt, and reg ( had to do some wiring , very easy) and now very smooth. I get a little gauge dance at idle (big cam), but its all good. This is a common problem ,and the best fix.
good luck.
dale

I'm running the blue regulator on an older 1 wire field system and it works just fine. Output voltage from the alternator is right about 14.3 volts. I have never had a problem with it.

I'm running the blue regulator on an older 1 wire field system and it works just fine. Output voltage from the alternator is right about 14.3 volts. I have never had a problem with it.
I'm thinking of putting on a BLUE constant dual field regulator back on now after the conversion . I shouldn't get any volt flux at all. My other blue single field regulator was bad / defective . Just quit working.

-
Back