Battery Topper Hold-Down Bracket

-

APK

Reaction score
I purchased a Battery Topper from YearOne. My current Hold-Down Battery Bracket is not wide enough. I emailed YearOne and they said...

"Since the cover overlaps the battery it has to be a little wider than the battery. There is no corresponding hold down which is slightly wider.
There are a couple of ways to deal with this. My preferred method, once it is decided to keep the cover, is to mark the cover where the strap fits and remove a small amount of material from the edge of the cover on both sides. Another way is to remove a portion of the rubber coating from the strap in the area where the strap contacts the cover. This method might in the long run shorten the life of the strap."

Anybody know of a wider Hold-Down Battery Bracket or a different approach to use this Battery Topper?

I Have the same issue. If I cut the bracket I was curious if I could recoat it?

..you can spread a '69 style enough to fit.
..i made my '70 style with some 3/4" angle and a bit of round stock

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 337
I got the 69 style bracket today from YearOne. It's not going to work. There is no way spread that out to get it to work on my 1972 Dart. I am just going to search for some industrious person who can make a bracket or keep an eye out this summer at car shows for someone with a topper and ask how they did it. I don't understand YearOne selling this topper without the bracket to fit. :banghead:

the '69 " Z "style was the one i used on the topper on my Dart.
..the mounting holes are not opposite on the battery tray like a '70.
..the short J bolt hooks the inner fender.

On my '72 the J bolts are striaght across so the Z bracket isn't close to lining up.

Did you drill a new hole in the battery tray to accomodate the other J bolt?

How did you get the extra 2/8" needed to fit over the Battery Topper?

on my '69, the short j bolt hooks the inner fender a couple of inches further back.
the strap is not square across the battery.
carefully bend all 4 angles on the battery strap to increase its' width a bit
mark and drill a new hole if req'd

Wow I never knew this. wonder what I am going to do now.I guess I'll put my battery on its side in the mill and cut it down. has anyone tried this yet?

If I really really wanted to buy and install the topper in my 67... I've got a old battery retainer with its 2 angled pieces about rotted away, rubber brittle / split / missing.
I would strip it down, spot weld 2 new angle pieces where I wanted them then get a can of the rubber tool dip stuff to recoat it.
Additional info just incase...
Measure the topper and add a 1/4 or even 3/8 inch to the inside spacing. A tad of space between the rubber and plastic cant hurt

The shop where I have my car worked on says they can make me one that fits over the topper. Should I paint it flat or gloss black?

-
Back