Battery tray color?

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Couldn't find anything in a search. What color should the battery tray be? Body color or black?
Thanks,
C

They are suppost to be body color, but I have seen them both ways.

Battery trays were pre painted blackand bolted in on assembly line just like radiater, horns, everything else under the hood.

They were painted body color but I would think they were bolted up before the car was painted and all painted together. Think production. its quicker that way then to hang them up, paint them, wait till they dry, then bolt them on.

They were painted body color but I would think they were bolted up before the car was painted and all painted together. Think production. its quicker that way then to hang them up, paint them, wait till they dry, then bolt them on.
I wont argue. I will suggest you install one and try to paint under and around it. :)

Ive done it and yes its a pain in the ***. The factory didnt care if the bottom of the tray got paint or not.

I used to have a couple of factory ones that were real nice. I took them off of a couple of cars in the wrecking yard back in the mid 80's. They were painted but the bottoms on both were not. And even the paint on the side of one of them was totally pathetic. To me it looked like they just didn't care. Thats my 2 cents.

I am not trying to start or add to an argument here, but working at the dealership through the years and the number of cars I have restored in my shop I have noticed that factory trays are painted body color and replacement trays are black. That is why I wrote that I have seen them both ways, but they should be painted.

To me it looked like they just didn't care.

They didnt, LOL Most people end up over restoring there cars because the factory just didnt care. It was just a job to them.

If it was painted body color it was bolt together before paint and all painted at once.

definatly body color for sure 1970 and up.....did lots of reasearch to be sure...also this is just my learnet opinion...

Our 69 roadrunner's has always been body color.... ever since new... so I am going to assume thats the "correct" way to go.

i went and looked. One black and 2 body color ( mostly rust ) . Glad I din't bet money on this one.

Thanks guys! And yes, I will over restore as I will paint it off the car and hang it after I've painted the engine bay...
C

Painted body color from factory.

Early replacements were a redish primer, newer & current replacements black primer.

Here are two photos of a very low mile car showing the factory look under the tray;

Engine Bay44.jpg

Engine Bay45.jpg

-
Back