Battery tray rusted, can't break bolt loose

-

Bl1zzard

Reaction score
The bolt that holds down the battery tray is rusted right through the tray. I bought a new tray to replace it, but I'll be damned if I get the bolt loose. I've soaked it in rust remover for a day, applied penetrating oil and lots of heat. It's not moving, the head of the bolt is done, time for the angle grinder?

Heat and spray water on it a few times. The rapid cooling will contract it quick and should suck some water into the threads. Like 4 times.suprised it didnt break. Heres where a wimpy impact comes in handy.

Heat and spray water on it a few times. The rapid cooling will contract it quick and should suck some water into the threads. Like 4 times.suprised it didnt break. Heres where a wimpy impact comes in handy.
Shoot us a picture. If you cut it off you still have to get it out. You need a new tray, I think they have the braces too.
Page 550 of the Classic Industries catalog.

I'll give the heat and water thing a try thanks. As you can see by the pics, I've pulled the brace out of the car. Easier to heat up without worrying about starting a fire or melt any cables.

IMG_20190311_111314.jpg

IMG_20190311_111330.jpg

I would try grinding 2 flat sides on the part that protrudes and hit with some vice grips. Good luck.

that looks like a U shaped threaded clip. How about slitting the clip and take off 2 halves?

It's broke, off the car, and can be replaced. Turn the smoke wrench up and make it cry like a little b****.....

JW

-
Back