Battle Of The Cams.

-

shittyslant6

Reaction score
While daydreaming about building a high performance small block, I was theorizing about which camshaft would be the coolest to use.
Now, there are many Cams and Cam manufacturers that produce all sorts of cool and fun camshafts, but for all sorts of specific engine combination and applications.
I wanted to create this thread as a sort of bickering and camshaft manufacturer battleground.
No specific engine or purpose, but which Camshaft company you love the most for whatever reason.
Racer Brown, Lunati, Comp, Schneider, etc.
Bicker away!

I like Hughes engines or Duane Porter. They have mopar specific cams and real working mopar experience.

Comp Cams is for GM Engines! IMO.

Last edited:
I had an old Crane SSH-320 NC that I liked. I have tried (on a budget) The Summit classic cam series in a few engines and have had good results. I am not sure who makes them

Last edited:
My next camshaft buy is for a stroker bbc, and im gonna get a lunati voodoo sft.
For my next bbm cam, probably Porter or Hughes. Ive had good luck with purple shafts, but that was before quality fell and prices skyrocketed.

I had an old Crane SSH-320 NC that I liked. I have tried (on a budget) The Summit classic cam series in a few engines and have had good results. I am not sure who makes them

I had a similar grind in a big chevy way back when. Stock stroke 427. It was the old SS grind, later changed to CC grind. Now, I don't know what it is. .600/620 310/320 advertised on a 106. That was such a nasty soundin big block nobody ever even looked at me at a red light. LOL Had it in a 69 Chevelle with a "Munchie 4 speed" as a good friend calls them and 4.56 gears. That car was not slow.

Lunatti Vodoo 703 LK Small Block 340 cid
268/276 Advertised
226/234 @ 0.050
.494/.513 Lift

No specific engine or purpose, but which Camshaft company you love the most for whatever reason.
Bicker away!
For me, it has to be Schneider racing cams because they have the coolest logo and their stickers look kick *** on the back of my van! :lol:
3C61A869-9C38-4374-9489-A0C09F322E15.png

I had a similar grind in a big chevy way back when. Stock stroke 427. It was the old SS grind, later changed to CC grind. Now, I don't know what it is. .600/620 310/320 advertised on a 106. That was such a nasty soundin big block nobody ever even looked at me at a red light. LOL Had it in a 69 Chevelle with a "Munchie 4 speed" as a good friend calls them and 4.56 gears. That car was not slow.
That must have been a real blast to drive! Sounds like loads of fun and trouble as well!!:steering::thumbsup:

That must have been a real blast to drive! Sounds like loads of fun and trouble as well!!:steering::thumbsup:

It was a lot of fun. Always why I cringe when I see guys on here seriously puttin down other makes. Mopars aren't the only cars that can be fast.....or nice.

Erson, Isky and Crane were the manufacturers I used back in the day.
I've used a few of the older Hughes grinds and Mopar purple cams too.
Never had one go flat.
Anyone remember the Camfather sticker, I still have one on my glove box door from 1980. lol like new.

I have degreed a few cams over the years. Bullet, Isky & Comp. Flat tappet, not roller.
The Comp cams were always the most accurate.

I have degreed a few cams over the years. Bullet, Isky & Comp. Flat tappet, not roller.
The Comp cams were always the most accurate.

Trust me, it was pure chance.

I’m using 1.5 for the lift I posted as that’s what I have. We set the head up to fun 1.6 also.
Well, if you have read my posts... I’m all for taking advantage of what the head has to offer in air flow. If course, as always, if it fits the bill.
While daydreaming about building a high performance small block, I was theorizing about which camshaft would be the coolest to use.
Now, there are many Cams and Cam manufacturers that produce all sorts of cool and fun camshafts, but for all sorts of specific engine combination and applications.
I wanted to create this thread as a sort of bickering and camshaft manufacturer battleground.
Bicker away!

I thought about this for a bit before I answered. As long as the cam grind is ground correctly as advertised or as per my spec or modification, I really don’t care who did it. Chinese 5 year olds pushing buttons? OK, is it ground correct? Good! Send it.

I have not had a new cam ever to flat on me. No manufacturer is immune to a run of bad cores or a screw up in the process. All of mine have been dead in or super close. 1* isn’t a deal breaker, .005 missing lift isn’t a deal breaker.

Selecting a cam I left to “Pros” when I was young but curious in the head I am so I started to read and read a lot! Ow when I think hard about what it is I’m trying to achieve, I work it out my way and sometimes, I find the dang thing on a shelf!!! Sometimes I have it custom ground.

LMAO!!!!!

So I can’t say these guys or those guys for a camshaft, but rather, do they have one that fits the bill for the build?

-
Back