Status
Not open for further replies.

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Contact seller
YO, this is cawley. I am in need of a good pitman arm for my 69 barracuda big block. All the ones I have came across are wrong for my car. My pitman arm where the splines are, where it goes on the steering box measures 1 inch. All the ones I came across are 1 1/4. So if you have one & you are going to Carlisle please let me know. I will be there Thursday to Sunday morning. Thanks

1-1/4" or 1-1/8"?

Just checked mine and it is 1-1/8" across the splines measured with a old fashioned manual caliper.

There appears to be a smaller spline box used on some of these cars. Do you know what ration the box is? I count 5 turns lock to lock on the 1-1/8" shaft box in my car.

1-1/4" or 1-1/8"?

Just checked mine and it is 1-1/8" across the splines measured with a old fashioned manual caliper.

There appears to be a smaller spline box used on some of these cars. Do you know what ration the box is? I count 5 turns lock to lock on the 1-1/8" shaft box in my car.

boy im not sure about mine. mine has to be the 1 1/8 one just going by a tapemeasure ill have check it with a caliper ill see if I can use my dads his is digital

If it is 1-1/8" I have a brand new one available but I will not be at Carlisle.

Did you count the turns stop to stop? Just curious as I have seen others having a hard time getting the right pitman and wonder if the fast ratio boxes are different shaft diameters.

I hate to jump in on this, but I had a similar problem. My 69 383-s has a fast ratio box. I bought a new pitman arm and it didn't fit. The shaft diameter is to small. I ended up putting the old one back on, even though it is worn.

I bought it from Rare Parts - 20492
Click to view image of part PITMAN ARM
Application: V8 6.3L 6286cc 383cid

I still have not found the right pitman, although Rare Parts can make one for an arm and a leg (2-3 hundred dollars).

Rod

I hate to jump in on this, but I had a similar problem. My 69 383-s has a fast ratio box. I bought a new pitman arm and it didn't fit. The shaft diameter is to small. I ended up putting the old one back on, even though it is worn.

I still have not found the right pitman, although Rare Parts can make one for an arm and a leg (2-3 hundred dollars).

Rod

Thanks for jumping in rklien383 and sharing the info!!!

So your box is the fast ratio! What diameter is the shaft??

If it is 1-1/8" I have a brand new one available but I will not be at Carlisle.

Did you count the turns stop to stop? Just curious as I have seen others having a hard time getting the right pitman and wonder if the fast ratio boxes are different shaft diameters.

Mine turns 5 & about 3/4 turns & the caliper says 1.67 ( its a digital caliper ) what do you want for your pitman arm. Is there a way to tell if its a fast ratio box by just looking ?

Rod
yea I just might have to use my old one even though its pretty sloppy I found a place that will rebuild my old one for $150 plus shipping just seems a little much

Mine turns 5 & about 3/4 turns & the caliper says 1.67 ( its a digital caliper ) what do you want for your pitman arm. Is there a way to tell if its a fast ratio box by just looking ?

1.67 thats large... 1.167?

turns lock to lock -
3.5 turns is fast ratio 16:1
4.5 turns is ratio 20:1
5.5 is regular ratio 24:1

I would give firm feel a call and see if they can get you what you need.
http://www.firmfeel.com/default.html

Good info Rocky!! Mine was just under 5 turns so seems it is 20:1

Mine is 3.5 turns lock to lock. I am not sure what the diameter of the shaft is.
Rod

I bought a re-popped one years ago from, I think, Year One? Also bought a NOS one from Frank Mitchell's. Not sure if Frank has any more? NOS has a yellow paint dab.
I haven't check either for fitment.

do you guys have the part # for this unit? the moog book I have does not even give a part # for the 383 1969 a body cars-- that would be a hard item to find. ( the parts book is from 1983)
$150 to refurbish does not sound out of line --considering the limited application.

Good luck in your search ,Lawrence

Inertia -- I'm asking what is the part # for the 69 pitman arm for 383 cars-- the link you provided is the same info my moog book has.
No moog number for the 69 383 cars---

possibly only dealer item?
Lawrence

PITMAN ARM

Manual Power
60-62 Valiant/Lancer
K789 K789
62-64 All exc. A body
K780 K780
65-70 B body
" "
71-72 B body
K7102 K7102
70-74 E body
" "
62-66 A body
K7020 K7020
67-72 A body (exc 383) no 383 part # here either
K7074 K7074
73-76 A body
K7075 K7076
73-79 B body
" "
65-73 C body
K7032 K7072
67-75 Imperial
K7024 K7024
74-78 C body
K7121 K7121
76-80 F body
K7100 K7101
77-89 M body
" "
80-83 J body

That link has pitman arm K7074 (moog and others) EXCEPT 383 engine.

However, firm feel does list big block replacement idler and pitman arms
http://www.firmfeel.com/a_body_mopar_pitman_idler_arm.html

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/steering_parts.htm - Jims list big block also.

Mopar part number 3004809 (69 part cat W/383 engine)
Mopar part number 3004807 w/o big block

Read the Link supplied by SGBARRACUDA,,.

and here's a link for part #s

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/moognumbers.shtml

hope it helps

I know of at least one instance of using the small block pitman in a BB.

There were no issues that I can remember..

I sold the 340 swinger manual box and pitman to a gent,, and the car is driving today,, no change of pitman,, but I will contact the dude to be sure... hmmmm

Rocky thanks for the part #'s

Inertia, everything is the same except the 383 cars-- - no doubt a 340 gear/pitman arm would work/swapped as a unit --so would a slant gear/pitman-- is the car your recollecting a factory 383 car? Lawrence

Inertia, everything is the same except the 383 cars-- - no doubt a 340 gear/pitman arm would work/swapped as a unit --so would a slant gear/pitman-- is the car your recollecting a factory 383 car? Lawrence

No,, it was a 318 68 Dart conversion,, getting rid of the P/S..

My apology,, I had thought they were the same, and your confusion was over the shaft size.. however,, here is a post in relation..

http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/showthread.php?34114-Pitman-arm-difference

hope it helps

For $150 I would have the original rebuilt. I think a repop or NOS will be that much and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back