BB intake manifold help needed

-

matthon

Reaction score
I'm looking for the correct intake manifold for a 67 383.
From what I have found out the correct casting number is 2205968.
This is correct for '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, and '67 383 engines with the single four barrel.
The problem is intakes with the same casting number look different, and the so called date codes don't appear to be dates at all.
Here are 3 on eBay right now, the first 2 look the same, except for a few casting marks, and the third one is completely different.
The date codes on these are some wacked out system, 2-3, 9X22, and 12X6????
I've also seen 5-3, 10X15, and 9-2.
Can anyone help?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

For some reason I'm thinking it's the bottom one....with the casting number on the front

OK, the last one has the casting number on the front, not so different.

What about the date codes?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Boy don't quote me on this but....

The cast # is the year

The cast tag is month and day.
So in this first pic it would be 12-5-65

2nd would be 9-22-64

I think you might be on to something, I found a 2 barrel intake on eBay that followed your logic...but then I found the 67 440 intake below.

I have looked at many 62-67 383 intakes and have yet to see a complete date code, yet all other engine sizes and years have complete date codes.

There isn't a single book that I could find that deals with this intake and these so called date codes.

Maybe you are right 1968FormulaS340, and this logic only applies to the 2205968 intake?

440.jpg

I was afraid of that... When I saw your thread I did some research of my own...

Crazy thing... Most other intakes have that simple date mark... The 383 intake from everything I have seen does not.

Well... Back to the drawing board.

It's good work if you can get it! Lol He actually helped me one time for free about 15 years ago. I called and he answered and I asked him a question about a 440 motor I had with a certain crankshaft and he answered my question and was a nice guy. No charge. Go figure.

Im sure he would tell us for $400.
I thought the same thing, and I only recall a code book he has that isn't exactly cheap.
But no guarantee this is covered in it, since it isn't in any other book on the planet!
And why is this such a mystery anyway?
I keep thinking the "X" is not a space saver between the month and the day, since I have seen what appears to be a "-" between them as well.
So what do we got?
The numbers are either month/day, or not.
The "X" is either a space, or not.
I know Chrysler used letters for years, but they used the first letters of the alphabet, not the last.
They did this for 6 years for 1 engine size, that's it?

Anyone got an original car with a 383 from 62-67?

I really want to know the answer to this one.

I checked that one out before, but I did check again, no luck.
Of course, I found an intake with a regular date code.
There are other date codes, like 28 70 for the 28th week of 1970, and 3289 for the 328th day of 1969, but I can't seem to make the same logic work for the intakes I have seen.

9X22 maybe September 2, 1962?
12X6 maybe December 1966?
10X15 maybe October 1, 1965?
That doesn't work for the 12X6.

That website also has this:
Exhaust manifold casting number and date code
Casting number = 2843992
9 11 68 = October 19, 1968
This manifold would be for a 1969 vehicle

I am officially completely confused.

Yeah, pretty confusing stuff! Well, on the bright side, maybe then it won't really matter 'coz nobody else will be able to tell the difference either! Good Luck and if I run across something more definitive I'll let you know.

Matton,I have your origanal intake you need.Its a 4 barrel intake off my 65 chrysler 300.
Date codes are done in a number of different ways: 4-10-66 or 4-10-6 to show month-day-year.
A nother version is the :12X5,meaning 12 month 5th day of the month.The casting of intakes was done a many different foundrys to keep with demand,not every one used the right system all the time.
From 62-7 this intake was used on A-B-C body cars,large demand for intakes of this casting.
The single digit number is for the number casting revisions made to the mold.
The casting number can be either front or rear of the intake,both are correct.
Here is the pic of my intake,mrmopartech

So if 12X5 means month 12 and the 5th day of the month, then intakes dated like this did not have the year at all, ok I get it.

So what is the date code on yours?
Are you looking to sell it?
I am in NY, is shipping from Canada as ridiculous as I have heard it is; cost, time, etc?

-
Back