BB oil pump applications

-

Bulldozer

free ice cream sandwiches
Reaction score
high pressure VS high volume

what are the applications of these and what deems them necessary?

would one even be necessary with a fresh bone stock 440 with a 699 pan ?

LOL funny Rick, thats the exact one i ordered. im doing good , how about yourself?

Ok, for now, but Wed. is right around the corner. I'm positive things will work out though:thumblef:. Don't want to hijack:D, other pump opinions will come.

Ok, for now, but Wed. is right around the corner. I'm positive things will work out though:thumblef:. Don't want to hijack:D, other pump opinions will come.
prayin for you guys :D

i was just curious as to when people use HV pumps compared to HP pumps, and why

prayin for you guys :D

i was just curious as to when people use HV pumps compared to HP pumps, and why

Thanks, we'll talk later.

Well, the engine guru's, which i'm not, may disagree and i can't argue with them, but any SBM, SBC, BBC, & SBF i had a hand in that used stockish clearances and a 4/5 qt. pan got a standard pump. The few racier engines got clearanced on the high side and got high volume pumps, but had 8 qt. pans. The only engines i was associated with that required high pressure (70lbs +) were big bearing engines like big Buick, Olds, Pontiac and the FE Fords (390,427,428). I don't have any experience on BBM's other then stock/factory assembled. I know there's a formula out there for this, but i don't know exactly what it is. I do know that i never lost a bottom end on anything i worked on, rod or main.

.............Hv is used when u have bigger clearances than factory..........hp was used on factory hp engines and stock pumps were used on granny engines........kim.......

I've run all 3 style pumps and my biggest concern was when using the HP or HV pumps you were always up against the oil pressure relief when the oil/engine were cold. This is fine if the valve works fine but if it fails once that 80PSI oil pressure will be at 120-150 which could rupture the filter can and yes I ran the mopar heavy wall high pressure filters. End all be all is unless you're running 750+ HP (very high rod bearing load) or are into high crank/rod bearing clearances the standard pump is fine. Don't forget to purchase the oil pump rod with the hardened ends for any and all pumps, cheap insurance.

-
Back