BB oil pump leak

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a slight oil leak somewhere around the 440 oil pump. Unknown pump age. Is this just straight forward remove and replace? Never done one. Do I need to worry about any sort of alignment with distributor? Also, should I just replace it? I can get a Melling M63 cheap though my commercial account. BTW this is the D100 project, so nothing in the way Craig

Yup. It's very straight forward. Remove bolts, take old pump off, put new one on. No need to worry with the distributor since all you're doing is engaging the oil pump drive rod. It's a hex rod that fits into the hex drive on the pump. You'll see. Real self explanatory. I "WOULD" go ahead and prime the pump before putting it on. That will require I "think" it's a 1/4" make hex. Might be 5/16" I cannot remember. Whichever, I just get the right size allen wrench, cut the short 90 off it engage it in a cordless drill and have at it. Fill the filter up, screw it on the pump and pour the coals to the drill. Looking at the hex drive on the pump, it turns CCW. DO it in a 5 gallon bucket, because it's gonna come squirtin out the engine side of the pump. Once that's done, slap it on and go.

Yup. It's very straight forward. Remove bolts, take old pump off, put new one on. No need to worry with the distributor since all you're doing is engaging the oil pump drive rod. It's a hex rod that fits into the hex drive on the pump. You'll see. Real self explanatory. I "WOULD" go ahead and prime the pump before putting it on. That will require I "think" it's a 1/4" make hex. Might be 5/16" I cannot remember. Whichever, I just get the right size allen wrench, cut the short 90 off it engage it in a cordless drill and have at it. Fill the filter up, screw it on the pump and pour the coals to the drill. Looking at the hex drive on the pump, it turns CCW. DO it in a 5 gallon bucket, because it's gonna come squirtin out the engine side of the pump. Once that's done, slap it on and go.

And hang on to it when u hit the trigger !!

I have a slight oil leak somewhere around the 440 oil pump. Unknown pump age. Is this just straight forward remove and replace? Never done one. Do I need to worry about any sort of alignment with distributor? Also, should I just replace it? I can get a Melling M63 cheap though my commercial account. BTW this is the D100 project, so nothing in the way Craig

You can also order the gasket and O-rings to reseal the original pump, but installing a fresh pump is a better solution.

Be sure to disassemble the new one, debur the parts and clean them. Some folks fill the new pumps with vasoline in place of priming them, but as mentioned above spinning it with a drill seems better to me. No need for a high volume pump with a stock motor and pan. The MV 63 is a high volume pump isn't it?

The pump can also appear to be leaking if the valve cover above it is seeping oil.

You can also order the gasket and O-rings to reseal the original pump, but installing a fresh pump is a better solution.

Be sure to disassemble the new one, debur the parts and clean them. Some folks fill the new pumps with vasoline in place of priming them, but as mentioned above spinning it with a drill seems better to me. No need for a high volume pump with a stock motor and pan. The MV 63 is a high volume pump isn't it?

The pump can also appear to be leaking if the valve cover above it is seeping oil.

I saw the gasket set but, thought a new pump would be better choice. It’s probably the original 1976. I have New valve covers, fresh paint, no oil leak. The M63 is stock pump. M63HV and M63HP are the high volume and high pressure.

If you are interested I think I still have the M63HV that I took off of my 458 stroker. It only had about 100 miles on it when I pulled it & it held a good 60-70 psi cold at idle & 40-50 psi warmed up at idle. PM me & I'll get you some pictures & pricing.

-
Back