Be aware of 66 Valiant/Barracuda lenses on eBay

-

abgwin

Reaction score
Recently bought a set of new reproduction upper tail light lenses for my 66 Barracuda from Micas y Mas on eBay. Anyone who's shopped for 'em know these are hard to find, and the guy had reasonably good feedback, so I went against my gut and won the auction.

First of all, seller contacts me and says that he's sold out - I'll need to wait for him to get more before he can ship mine, and it may take 45 extra days!

After a month, I opened a case with eBay, though they said it was too early to do anything. Opening the case seems to have moved things along, as they came about a week later.

Poorly made, with big chunks out of the leading edge where it will show and flashing left on the back of one.

Contacted the seller, who said "you got what you paid for". $50 seems like a lot for a lens that's chipped right out of the mold.

So wanted to pass the word along.

Here's the lens in question:
2065bd13.jpg

Mods: if this is in the wrong place, please don't hesitate to move or delete.

Made in Mexico I believe. I wondered about these, thanks for sharing, I will put that seller on my list of "junk" sellers. thanks for sharing, too bad you are not happy but your experience will save others money.

You're correct, direct from Mexico. Overall quality isn't bad, if they would just do the finish work right. I think it's chipped from them breaking the mold spars off instead of snipping them with the proper tool.

Shipping, however, is a nightmare.

Not to be an *** but what did you expect for 50 bucks off e bag, laysons and others have'em for more than that just for one. I'm sorry but it just irritates me when someone buys something they know is cheaply made and then complains about it.

Recently bought a set of new reproduction upper tail light lenses for my 66 Barracuda from Micas y Mas on eBay. Anyone who's shopped for 'em know these are hard to find, and the guy had reasonably good feedback, so I went against my gut and won the auction.

First of all, seller contacts me and says that he's sold out - I'll need to wait for him to get more before he can ship mine, and it may take 45 extra days!

After a month, I opened a case with eBay, though they said it was too early to do anything. Opening the case seems to have moved things along, as they came about a week later.

Poorly made, with big chunks out of the leading edge where it will show and flashing left on the back of one.

Contacted the seller, who said "you got what you paid for". $50 seems like a lot for a lens that's chipped right out of the mold.

So wanted to pass the word along.

Here's the lens in question:
2065bd13.jpg

Mods: if this is in the wrong place, please don't hesitate to move or delete.

Can you file a not as described case or is that out the window since you had a case on this already?

Not to be an *** but what did you expect for 50 bucks off e bag, laysons and others have'em for more than that just for one. I'm sorry but it just irritates me when someone buys something they know is cheaply made and then complains about it.

They looked nice in the auction, not like the ones pictured. When the guy first started selling them they were going for about $100. Those didn't look poorly made...these do, and those flaws will show.

That sucks, but check this out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Plymou...its=Model:Valiant&hash=item564a8aca93&vxp=mtr

Look at the pics in that auction. They look like ***. They ain't even tryin to hide that they are junk. Also look at this.

"Left And Right

1964 Plymouth Barracuda

1964 Plymouth Valiant And Barracuda

Check Your Vehicles Compatibility

High Quality Reproductions

Made Of Acrylic"

That clearly says HIGH QUALITY. Whether they cost a dollar or a thousand dollars, they shouls be as described and they're not. They SUCK. Oh and btw, that sellrer's EBay name is Micas_y_Mas if you want to search it.

Can you file a not as described case or is that out the window since you had a case on this already?

Have escalated this, but not expecting much. Would be happy with a partial refund, as I'll use 'em anyway.

More interested in others knowing what to expect.

@lou3500: As for $50 being "cheap", I guess you have more disposable income than I. I consider $50 to be relatively pricey for just two lenses, and certainly don't expect to have big chips out of it that didn't happen in shipping.

I bought a set of the 1964 Valiant ones from them, and they look fine. They were going for big bucks at first, but I ended up paying $50 for a set.

Of course they aren't going to be as nice as some NOS ones....but not the $400 each that some clowns ask for a single NOS lense on there.

Yours definately look like crap though!

Maybe the fact that you started the process of opening a case caused them to rush them, or maybe maliciously handle them? That sucks if it's the case.

I don't think someone should be allowed to sell anything on there that they don't have in stock, and available for immediate shipping!

I bought a set of the 1964 Valiant ones from them, and they look fine. They were going for big bucks at first, but I ended up paying $50 for a set.

Of course they aren't going to be as nice as some NOS ones....but not the $400 each that some clowns ask for a single NOS lense on there.

Yours definately look like crap though!

Maybe the fact that you started the process of opening a case caused them to rush them, or maybe maliciously handle them? That sucks if it's the case.

I don't think someone should be allowed to sell anything on there that they don't have in stock, and available for immediate shipping!

That crossed my mind when the op said they were back ordered and when the case was opened all of a sudden the seller shipped lenses. That is when I thought the seller may have shipped rejects.

Have escalated this, but not expecting much. Would be happy with a partial refund, as I'll use 'em anyway.

More interested in others knowing what to expect.

@lou3500: As for $50 being "cheap", I guess you have more disposable income than I. I consider $50 to be relatively pricey for just two lenses, and certainly don't expect to have big chips out of it that didn't happen in shipping.

What i mean is cheap product [not you] and no i don't have a disposible income,i would have bought them also due to being inexpensive and that i'm not building a concourse car, it sucks that there are not more reproduction parts made here but nothing else is either anymore. Last time i checked those lenses were around 80+ each [a complete set was unbelevable] at lasons restorations thats why mine are crappy looking still.

Wow! I sure hated to see this thread. I have a set on the way from this same auction. The seller said it could be a while shipping as it needs to go through customs so I get that part but can't wait too see what I get. The seller had a really good rating on Ebay. Let you all know how it turns out. Dennis

ebay should work with you, just tell them item is not as described-- then the seller must make it right. Lawrence

I agree with tho others here that 50 bucks IS cheap when regarding these lenses. Simply look what Laysons charges. You get extreme high quality too. Whena seller says
"high quality" though, all bets are off. They should have been as represented. They were not.

Send Ebay the link to one of their OWN auctions where you can clearly see the chips. They'll have no choice then. Cause high quality they AINT.

Laysons aint much better...maybe worse! I got a set a few years ago which had "runs/streaks" of plastic" inside the lens. Spoke to Layson, told me that his products are inspected before their shipped out and that isn't possible but I could ship them back at "my cost" for a new set. I did, and never bought another thing from him.

actually he's sharing with us so we dont goof up and buy from the same seller.......the shiney side of the coin......

theres nothing wrong with sharing a good or bad experience with any ebay seller. it doesnt sound like he went and left a bunch of negative feedback , just letting people know the item wasnt was it was supposed to be. maybe its an isolated case, maybe every part is a POS. all he said was to beware, and even provided picture evidence. if it were me, i would send him a link to this thread

I bought a pair from the same guy on ebay for my 64 Valiant, but recall paying ~$25 for both (think it was an auction). I also got an e-mail about a short delay in shipping, but received them in about 4 weeks, well under ebay's 45 day limit for complaints. I haven't installed since I just bought for the future. They look fine and when I held against the lamps, they looked like they would fit fine. I am not super picky and not going for a concours look, so maybe I didn't notice a streak or ripple, but I don't want people looking over my cars with a magnifying glass anyway.

Micas Y Mas communicated well and seemed like a stand-up hombre. Sounds like he was curt with you. That sure won't help him since a high percentage of Valiant owners read this site. Why don't you e-mail him a link to this post and he might decide to act responsibly.

please dont send him a link that's all we need is this guy showin up selling his junk...........jmo
theres nothing wrong with sharing a good or bad experience with any ebay seller. it doesnt sound like he went and left a bunch of negative feedback , just letting people know the item wasnt was it was supposed to be. maybe its an isolated case, maybe every part is a POS. all he said was to beware, and even provided picture evidence. if it were me, i would send him a link to this thread

I'd bet that a few weeks in the sun will render them absolutely worthless in every aspect.

please dont send him a link that's all we need is this guy showin up selling his junk...........jmo

LOL if he actually read this thread, i doubt he would try and sell here because his info is already out. but, maybe he would get his act together and make it right by sending him a link. thats all i meant

So here's where I stand with the seller: his only remedy is that I return them, at my cost, and then he'll refund. I proposed he replace the unusable one or refund half, but shipping is on his dime.

I don't trust anyone who sells me something they don't have on hand to be honest that they have received the returned item, and I don't have faith in the Mexican postal system to guarantee delivery confirmation.

Not looking for sympathy, just letting anyone on here know what can happen with one of few sources for these lenses.

Anyone who has has a good experience with him, I'm happy for you, but curious if yours has mold marks as well.

Follow up: seller says that all of his lenses have those missing bits, due to the mold (!). eBay agreed with me, but they insist I return both lenses for a full refund, and I pay shipping charges. Once receipt is confirmed by seller, they will issue a refund via "buyer protection".

I opted not to send them back, as I still don't believe I can get a receipt confirmation or trust the seller, and would then be out of the money as well as the lenses.

Good luck to anyone else who buys from him. I'd like to see examples of other lenses from him; I can't believe that they're all as bad as mine.

Once I get around to installing them (how do you remove the housings anyway?) I'll post a picture.

Thanks, everyone.

That's a bummer about the '66 lenses. I'm another one of the guys that got his '64 lenses and they seem ok. Haven't installed them yet. Time will tell what sunlight does to them.

-
Back